+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 FFA

Hybrid View

*e1asto

Tier 1 FFA

I haven't met anyone that's tier 1 in FFA.
    Who ever joins Quake Live of my friends they are tier 3. They play games casually sometimes.
    I've tried searching on youtube for a gameplay on tier 1 FFA server, but nothing.

What are those players? I wanna see them play! Just to see how they play, are they standing still all the time?

If anyone is tier 1 could they post here. Or if anyone has a video of tier 1 match please post.

Senior Member LITTLEVATO is on a distinguished road LITTLEVATO's Avatar
    Lol 10chars

*zQuare
    i think its enough if you are able to walk to get rated higher than Tier1 o_O. i am Tier4 although i suck in FFA so hard. dont know how the rating works.

Banned CooloutAC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    i'm not sure it really exists

I know for a fact brand new players that start off in quake in CA. start off in Tier 3. which is kind of ridiculous. but ID has to do this because of the alt account problem. that half the community condones unfortunately. one out of 2 people is an alt dude. and all it takes is 1 out of 5 to slum hard... no joke..

there is a tier 2. I don't have many on my friend list tier 2. except maybe one or two....I think....i'm pretty sure it exists. I mean i hope so i'm always telling obvious true newbs in tier 3 that after 10 matches they will move down to tier 2 haha.

tier 1 I'm not so sure about though..lol
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 06-26-2011 at 08:33 AM.

*DrewPWiener
    Why? For that matter, why is there so much analysis of a tier system that we know little about. We do not know how tiers are established or how players are ranked in them. Why analyze it so much?

I understand the complaints of the tier system, but disagree with them. If you ever played any FPS game before tier systems, spawn protection and all of the rest of the handicaps to placate to new players then you remember it was a jungle. I think we should all accept tier 4 for the jungle it is. The first few tiers - however they are ranked, rated, or established - are there to allow players to learn the fundamentals. Tier 4 is the actual game where you will get schooled by amazing players on occasion. I do not suggest players who want more handicaps to "just deal with it." Yet, they should realize that if they are not meant to be in tier 4, the system will fix that once they lose some.

Tier 1 is isolated so those players can learn the basics to a degree before having to deal with better players. I assume people in this tier are there only for a short time. How would seeing it be beneficial to you other than to peak your curiosity? Newer players do not deserve to be made fun of.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPWiener View Post
    Why? For that matter, why is there so much analysis of a tier system that we know little about. We do not know how tiers are established or how players are ranked in them. Why analyze it so much?

I understand the complaints of the tier system, but disagree with them. If you ever played any FPS game before tier systems, spawn protection and all of the rest of the handicaps to placate to new players then you remember it was a jungle. I think we should all accept tier 4 for the jungle it is. The first few tiers - however they are ranked, rated, or established - are there to allow players to learn the fundamentals. Tier 4 is the actual game where you will get schooled by amazing players on occasion. I do not suggest players who want more handicaps to "just deal with it." Yet, they should realize that if they are not meant to be in tier 4, the system will fix that once they lose some.

Tier 1 is isolated so those players can learn the basics to a degree before having to deal with better players. I assume people in this tier are there only for a short time. How would seeing it be beneficial to you other than to peak your curiosity? Newer players do not deserve to be made fun of.
    calling a tier system a handicap, is the same as these other guys calling it dumbing down the game. its neither. a tier system is just respecting other people in quake like you would a real life sport period. it does nothing to the mechanics of the game.

and in the past no fps was ever popular more then 2 years, including q3a, except counterstrike. Now we can tell ourselves its because that game is easier...laff.... or we can admit they had much better admins, and community mods which were mostly to ensure fair play.... and very popular CAL leagues.

no matter what we do though in ql though, the fact its free and alt accounts are condoned, and slumming and tier jumping are allowed in most game modes.... means we will never have an honest tier system anyways. I joined in beta because this used to be advertised. And i'm still waiting for the day we can see what it would be like. But i guess only in my dreams.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 06-26-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    The reason they start in tier 3 is probably because remember you are asked to play Crash or to *just say* how good you are when you first sign up? That's meant to put them in an appropriate tier.

When you are tier 1 you can join tier 3, when you are tier 2 you can join tier 4.

I've seen players in tier 4 CA games who are still cycling through weapons.

They won't make a proper elo rating system because id hates us.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 06-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Senior Member LITTLEVATO is on a distinguished road LITTLEVATO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    The reason they start in tier 3 is probably because remember you are asked to play Crash or to *just say* how good you are when you first sign up? That's meant to put them in an appropriate tier.
    I think they have got rid of the game against crash now (sure i seen it mentioned somewhere around here)

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEVATO View Post
    I think they have got rid of the game against crash now (sure i seen it mentioned somewhere around here)
    ya I don't know why though? i guess it wasn't a very good indicator? I mean having total newbs who don't even know how to RJ in tier 3 is ridiculous to me i'm sorry. maybe they should have to play crash, do the RJ training, and maybe some other training scenarios instead of just predictable bots.

and Its frustrating when the guy is on my team and I'm getting owned because of him. I never tell him that or votekick. I actually try to encourage him to stick with the game telling him, don't worry in 10 matches you will be moved down. this is t3 out of 4. but I'm thinking to myself god i hope he leaves. and I usually ask them to rebrowse after the match, just like i do with dudes accidentally slumming.

i mean how many of those guys are sadistic enough to stick with this game? lol. IN BC2 you ahve servers that say noobs only. You are autokicked if you are past a certain lvl. say lvl cap is 30 or something. But their levels are only TIME PLAYED!!! i mean dam, quake is the only game with a REAL skill lvl thats not time played. and they can organize so much better if they gave it a chance.!

I mean the last guy to try and start a thread addressed to me, saying he started on ql and made it to t4, was a CAL cs player who had a profile that said q3 was his fav game of all time, and his current game being cs. he was lying, but he proved another point of mine. that most people moved from q3 to cs. And I bet one of his reasons for staying there were that CAL league.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 06-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    You can see tier 1 players in unranked devpicks games, where all tiers are mixed together
    Tier 1 players rarely move, don't jump, ask how to open console, and then just sit with balloon over head.
    Usually dropped due to inactivity or quit at a random time.

I think it was better to let Crash teach new players a few lessons before let them play online.

+ Reply to Thread