+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How the hell am I supposed to learn to duel??

Member TcheQ is on a distinguished road
    I play (nonduel) a lot and still get whipped, and it's because i'm excruciatingly bad at timing, and I rush when weak. So all my opponents have to do is hog items, and hide long enough for me to get bored and make stupid mistakes. It's counterable in two ways, which is to improve aim (which won't happen soon as it would require me to relearn a lower mouse sense) or learn some patience (which won't happen soon either)

So yeah, don't play duel with 4cm=360

Oh and playing people who are slightly better than you is a good start (not greatly better). Slightly better might mean they beat you 36-1 ot 7-8, depending how hyperstupidaggressive you are :P

Banned bbjones is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Nex View Post
    Ok, so I'm getting sick of clan arena and want to go to duel, but I can't even touch anyone there! Is everyone at duels so badass? I'm sick of practicing duels, all the bots are so stupid and easily fraggable in any skill level. But whenever I join an online server, I get violated like a little boy in a confession booth! Like this last game for example, I lost 27:-2, on a server that's supposed to be my skill level!

I need a really sucky new Quake friend that wants to practice duels, but doesn't know how to turn a computer on by himself. Actually maybe a girl, that could work even better. HELP ME!
    I would sign this petition: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...rvers-Petition
    this way you could start of by learning the game in FFA-mode - without it being the most boring time of your life

Member Dynamix is on a distinguished road
    Practise, practise, practise, and when you're not practising you should be practising.

Seriously though, pick a map and learn it, just play that map like half of all your games, that'll let you pick stuff up about positioning and things, then work on your aim, then work on your timing.

Then work on other maps.

Timing as well is an immensely difficult thing to learn, eventually you want to be aiming to time at least 4/5 items, but just start off with the mega/red.

Another thing to keep is mind is your approach in fights, a lot of the time you might find yourself with a superiour stack but you approach the fight the wrong way and get destroyed, learning which weapon to have out at the right time and when to close down instead of backing off is a great skill to learn by itself.
    Last edited by Dynamix; 08-17-2010 at 02:22 PM.

*psychopower
    just play against people with a similar %LG as you.
    i found as a rule of thumb my chances of winning get really slim if my opponent has more than 7% lg accuracy than me.
    i have 25% and i have good chances of winning vs 22%-31% LG.
    You have 12% so i think you should look for opponents -under- 20%
    Lots of good players in Duel so you got to be patient to find the right opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by king
    youtube links
    watch that when u have time 2 kill

Member En is on a distinguished road
    For any two given players, mechanical skill (aim, dodge, movement) will determine the winner 99% of the time. Good luck finding that 1% of opponents who is close enough to your skill for strategy to matter at all, unless you are already amongst the top 1% of duellers of course.

1. Pick a map (a duel map)
    2. Learn this map. If you have 0 map knowledge then watch a good player. Pick 1 useful route (path across the map) that he runs, go to practice, and run this route over and over until you know it very well. This includes all the pickups you can see from the path, the quickest way to run it, and how its useful (health? weapons? strong position?). Once you know one piece of a map your brain will easily add all other details to it.
    Example: I literally spent 10 minutes going back and forth through the RG teleporter on aerowalk (first time on map) practicing 180 turns and other angles for shooting at and running to items on exit

3. Play said map. Play no other map. Use sound to locate your opponent. Don't try to end every fight with one of you dying (unless it's obvious you can kill them immediately). Don't ignore armor. Camping is fine especially when you're new.

4. Try stuff. Go railgun crazy. Set ambushes. Do suicide rushes. Try to get every RA or MH. Attempt spawn rapes. Talk trash. Have fun.

5. Repeat as necessary

*king_
    im working on a duel guide. Check it out in my signature.

*ndh
    Quote Originally Posted by king_ View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfBtg9nlYGQ - blood run (what goes through a pros head: dandaking)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bx13zmqiI - house of decay (what goes through a pros head: dandaking)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58 - campgrounds redux (what goes through a pros head: rapha)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jxAyd4-M0 - lost world (what goes through a pros head: cooller)
    These are really great, I love the format. Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming if you find more.

Senior Member 3Nex is on a distinguished road 3Nex's Avatar
    Wow, I just wanna say thx to everyone for great advice. I'm kinda sad today cause I won't be able to play for a day or two because I got mad at myself and broke my mouse... again.

And another thing is, if there's anyone out there who feels my pain of learning to duel without getting stomped on while doing it, feel free to add me as a friend so we can die together. Codename: Campgrounds redux.

Thanks guys.

*king_
    Quote Originally Posted by ndh View Post
    These are really great, I love the format. Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming if you find more.
    thanks, check out my duel thread in my signature for some more helpful videos (although they arent up to the caliber of the ones youve listed)

Member sinthesis is on a distinguished road
    I'm kinda sad today cause I won't be able to play for a day or two because I got mad at myself and broke my mouse... again.
    Hehe well if you wanna play duel, you gotta learn to stay patient and concentrated. Or alot of stuff will get broken xD

And another thing is, if there's anyone out there who feels my pain of learning to duel without getting stomped on while doing it, feel free to add me as a friend so we can die together.
    I've always played CA until now. I feel like expanding to other gametypes, too, so I'm learning duel right now. We can train together sometimes if you like . For me it's incredibly hard, to remember the times after I collected something. Like I collected red armor, watch the timer which says "2:35" for instance. Red takes 25 secs to spawn, so I should get back around 2:55 so I can reach it in time again.

Unfortunately, some maps have more than 4 items, and mostly times arent round like 2:35 ^^ Too much brain work after some beers or joints ^^. I prefer fast paced action with rocket jumps in CA then (and pls dont start a discussion about duel - ca now xD I like both)

+ Reply to Thread