+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocket Launcher- Aim and Dodging

Senior Member Natespank is on a distinguished road

Rocket Launcher- Aim and Dodging

I spent a while yesterday practicing with a friend using rockets. Both of our aims, and both of our dodging is off. Mine's the worst by far though.

Can anybody give any rocket advice- for aiming them or dodging them? What's the ideal ranges and situations for them too? We played a lot of lg vs rockets and lg almost always won.

Banned sephiroth5005 has a little shameless behaviour in the past sephiroth5005's Avatar
    practice with bots
    aim at the ground for splash damage
    use a more precise crosshair
    there not ideal for space maps
    always strafe to the side when an enemy has a rocket

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Better advice would be:
    Play lots of CA using rockets only (surprisingly effective)
    Aim at the enemy's legs. Don't be afraid to aim right for the enemy since rockets travel quite fast, so don't overpredict.
    If you get an opponent to bounce you can set up a direct rocket hit quite easily.
    When dodging, consider the fact that you can move in any direction, not just sideways, to minimize splash damage. Try to make your dodging both reactive and predictive rather than falling into LG-dodging patterns.

Senior Member Natespank is on a distinguished road
    practice with bots
    Actually, bots are extremely easy to hit with rockets. It's humans that are tricky.

As for CA, I'm trying 1v1 ca for now with rockets.

Do you just shoot to hit, or do you aim to control their movement and bounce them? In quake 2/tf2 you aim to bounce/control them, but that seems ineffective in QL.

Senior Member jstn is on a distinguished road jstn's Avatar
    biggest thing for me is to just relax and stop trying to predict movement. just aim smoothly and calmly at the most logical place for them to try to go to.

I used to do terrible in rocket fights because I was tense and over thinking it. simply playing calmly has helped me immensely.

getting bounces is kind it hard in this game, but for me using rockets to sort of dictate where my opponent goes is huge.
    Last edited by jstn; 05-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member z4t01 is on a distinguished road
    i played midair q1 exclusively for years so i feel that rockets are the sacred art of quake. theyre the most difficult aspect to master, but also the most rewarding. perhaps not as true in QL. lol.

when it comes to all the other weapons, they have an entirely different feel. they are aimed differently. with the rocket launcher, you have to use twitch mouse movements to hit your target. when it comes to hitting a target on the ground, i find you want to strafe in the opposite direction of your opponent, while simulatenously getting your mouse closer to the target so you can twitch your targeting reticule to his feet.

to dodge while doing this, listen for the sounds of the rocket launcher. you'll hear a rhythm, and you can get used to it. with enough practice you'll be able to tell when you need to dodge, and when you can continue strafing. generally it is a "longer-than-you-think" line that goes either right or left.

if you're looking to practice im always looking for some action so hit me up.

Senior Member RD6 is an unknown quantity at this point
    I know people always say get splash damage over direct hits, but they really don't do much damage. Just dodge in irregular(aka non-pattern) fashions, and just aim where you think he's gonna land. Jumping helps too, since you minimize the splash and direct damage from the rl. If your opponent is in the air(preferably against the wall) and he's in a very predictable projectile curve, aim at him. You do massive amounts of damage and you can minimize any damage he causes while he's in the air since he's stunned. In open areas where it's harder to hit him, definitely use lg. The lg is your main finisher. The rl can do good amount of damage, but carrying it through to a frag can sometimes not be fruitful. Play smart, and know where your enemies are coming and know where your enemies think you're going.

It's a prediction game. That's why defensive rockets usually always win against offensive, provided both players have the same stack. It's much harder to predict where your enemy is going when he's not coming towards you. He's also much more conscious since he doesn't have to worry, so his rockets will be less eratic. Your best bet is just to practice learning other people's strafes and common dodge patterns. Moving left-right erratically is much less common when you have rl out, and much more when you lg. The opposite also works: people tend to move in a bigger surface area than with lg, because it provides less splash. However with lg, moving across a big surface area, makes hitscan very easy. The same principles apply with rg, except with an obviously further and bigger scale.

Senior Member jstn is on a distinguished road jstn's Avatar
    jumping at the wrong moment is a really good way to get popped 20 feet in the air where you're a sitting duck.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Natespank View Post
    As for CA, I'm trying 1v1 ca for now with rockets.
    Try some good old 4v4/5v5 CA. Really lets you appreciate just how destructive that thing can be.

As for jumping, it can be a good way to avoid splash damage... that is, if you're only expecting him to get off one rocket before you frag him or get the hell out of there. Otherwise you'll get bounced around like a rubber ball.

Senior Member z4t01 is on a distinguished road
    imo, jumping left or right in a rocket fight is asking for it. i think a quick backwards strafe jump is a pretty safe bet so long as your timing isn't terribly off. jumping forwards is probably most effective but requires you to be absolutely sure you aren't actually jumping INTO it

+ Reply to Thread