+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A little story.

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar

A little story.

This was intended as a quick reply to CooloutAC in the q2 thread, but I ended up ranting. Woops.

inb4 cool story bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
    and lets face it most the people left playing ql right now are mostly ra3 guys and old school hardcore quakers that prolly started in q1. we should do a poll. you might be right.
    INCOMING RANT

I started playing Quake with QL. Came here from CS with a lot of friends, and I'm just about the only one left standing from that original surge. Hell, last year about two weeks before QuakeCon one of my close rl cs friends and I introduced this game to a friend of ours who had never played a shooter on the pc before. t3/4 CA and Duelers may know him as Weeblesucks.

We sat there for about three hours watching him cuss, punch his table, make up words to call people who were completely destroying him because he didn't have any idea how to play other than run at people and try to hit shots. He eventually said after losing 10-11 games in a row with a total of maybe 15 frags "This game is such ********. I don't see how anyone can play this kind of game. You just get destroyed constantly."

Came over to his apartment after work the next day, and he was on playing CA. He'd been playing for a straight six hours already that day. Completely addicted. He'd gotten a little better. A little strafing here and there, had a bit of an idea on what guns would work better in situations than others. He'd get upset, saying "I don't get it. I keep getting ***** but I can't stop playing." He'd go out with me for a smoke, then immediately come back in and get back on to keep trying to better himself.

Two weeks later, he came to QuakeCon with us. Just dropped everything he had going on and went, because he was in love with Quake, and wanted to go play with us and other quakers, and see what all the LAN fuss was all about. It was some of the best times we've had as friends since we met, and just further engulfed us into this game.

Forward to today. He's taught himself how to strafe correctly, c-jump, time items / fight decently for items in duels, and overall become a pretty solid tier 3 / low t4 player in a matter of 8/9 months. Yes I and some others have shown him some things and helped him along the way, but the fact is that he persevered through one of the hardest games to come into with zero previous pc fps experience and flourished into someone who can actually contend at the mid levels of play in a game with people who've been playing the series for years. And he did it from the ground up.

Point being, very rarely in games these days does one deal with a situation like that. A lot of games today try to implement the everyone wins idea in order to please both casual and hardcore. In a lot of ways it's ended up screwing how games in the States go in the way of keeping player counts high and complaints low. I can sit on this forum and look around, and it seems like if someone isn't winning 90% of the time, then the tiers are broken, or someone cheats, or too many bugs prohibit them from being able to win.

No one wants to actually try to improve their playstyle, gamesense, ability to time, move, aim, offense, defense, situational issues... nothing. It's just expected that everything is even and fair and everyone gets to experience the fruits of victory and accomplishment game in and game out. I look at Europe, and how plentiful their community is (growing in fact, it seems) and I can only come to the conclusion that the majority of the NA player base can't fathom taking the time to get better at a game, they just want the immediate glorification and wins under their stats.

Maybe it's because I grew up under counter-strike 1.3, and came into that game from playing SOCOM II online for ps2 where you had skillmatching, to a game where you had to learn from your mistakes, bad pushes, triple peaking awps, getting quad naded for running around loud as an elephant, getting out played due to lack of map knowledge, spammed through stuff because I didn't know the spam spots or were standing in obvious areas, etc etc. Cs was unforgiving, and I only got better from dying a lot, learning how to use recoil correctly, learning how to actually play the game instead of making sure the game put me with people that were around my level so ultimately my personal skill cap would be a lot lower in the long run. It was a pain in the ass for a good 2-3 years, but I eventually got to a point where I could compete against the best in the game, and could go to tournaments with my teams and actually perform well (though I never ended up winning anything big).

It just makes me look about the NA fps scene as a soft bunch, because no one feels they should have to learn through trial and error anymore. That can be faulted on the idea of fps games the last decade; Everyone wins yet everyone loses in the long term. It's a bad habit to expect that every game every time will be completely even and fair. Instead of fussing about someone who outplayed you, why not look at how you were outplayed and work on what you're lacking in to better yourself as a player, then come back and even the score? It's not impossible, just requires actual effort. I was hardly any good at QL when I first came to this game, but now I've come to a really competitive point where I can hold my own and sometimes pull a game in my team's favor.

Suck it up and play. If you're happy with where you're at and how you play the game, then that's fine. If you want to get better, and rise to the top to play against some of the best in Quake today, you have all the tools at your disposal to make it happen. Like I said before, it may be because I came from a time where there were no tiers and balancing, and had to learn how to play from losing a ****load, but I feel a lot of you have it made / easy compared to those of us from the earlier days, and sometimes I just can't believe how spoiled some people come off as. Actually try to get better, and you'll get better. It's simple. There are plenty of nice people in the community willing to help others learn, and plenty of videos / tutorials / even videos with pro commentary explaining exactly why they do what they do in situations. It's all there to use and learn from, why not utilize them?

Don't think I'm trying to be elitist / an ass or anything. This is just something I've wanted to say for quite a while. Take it as you will.

Other than that, see you all at QC. :]

EDIT : This has since been posted on TastySpleen. Thanks for all the nice comments guys! http://tastyspleen.tv/?p=1434

Last edited by Chibers; 11-29-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Junior Member dorkiz is on a distinguished road
    I completely agree.

Senior Member EmSixTeen is on a distinguished road
    Here here, well said, etc. I've not much to add to that but I agree with the sentiment.

Senior Member KETNAR will become famous soon enough KETNAR's Avatar
    I'll be linking this post in my sig.
    Is quake live showing you 'suggestive' ads?[Click] to see why. | STOP crying about people better than you.
    Science shows the handheld controller is crap for games.... :P| START learning how to play.
    [See why] Microsoft dropped the idea of PC/Xbox interplaying.| [The rest of us did.] :P

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KETNAR View Post
    I'll be linking this post in my sig.
    daww I love you. =)
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Other than playing World at War on my Wii (for fun--yeah, I'm noob) I'd not played any other fps games. I joined QL on Halloween 2009, yet I was unable to join any servers so I left, thinking it was my computer's fault. On January 31 I came back to QL and was able to connect to a server. I was instantly addicted even though I was barely able to hit opponents. I stuck at it and even though I was getting destroyed by players I progressed and got better. I'm now a tier 3/tier 4 player. (I still can't time but that's due to me not being able to while engrossed in the fighting in a duel--but since I rarely duel it doesn't matter as much)

tl;dr: keep trying, you'll get better.

Senior Member coveryfire is on a distinguished road coveryfire's Avatar
    The great thing about quake is that there is so much room to learn new things. You always have something to perfect. Modern FPS games today are slow and boring, they try nothing new and I find myself reaching my maximum skill in a matter of days. I think id has a done a great job with the skill matching because it allows new players to not get crushed so badly, and it allows better players to find other skilled players.

I just wish id did more advertising to bring in new players. A free to play game like this should be more populated. Also, why don't I ever see quake live news on gaming sites? Whenever TF2 or call of duty gets an update, theres a story on the update and what it brings. I've never seen anything about quake lives updates.

Senior Member Icey_Pain is on a distinguished road Icey_Pain's Avatar
    This whole thread describes exactly what I love about Quake 3, that Quake Live doesn't quite manage to succeed at. The whole skillmatching system manages to fix unbalanced games, yet destroys any chance of the process described in the OP to actually happen.
    Instead of being able to improve at your own pace, you are forced to improve at a snail's pace since the people that are better than you in a certain tier are often only marginally better.

Yet id software from a business point, can not make the game as hard to enter as Quake 3, as that will cut off their income even further. It is such a shame that a company must do something as silly as "casualise" your gaming experience for the sake of profit.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Amen!

I can't help but wonder if the self-esteem movement has something to do with it.

Senior Member sixers_ is on a distinguished road sixers_'s Avatar
    just to respond the original quote - I started with QL. ;-) also, cool story bro

+ Reply to Thread