+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Config Tweaks for Beginners, and Semi-Comprehensive 'Pro' Config (2 cfgs)

Senior Member EmSixTeen is on a distinguished road

Essential Config Tweaks for Beginners, and Semi-Comprehensive 'Pro' Config (2 cfgs)

Hi there folks,

Sparked by a discussion in IRC, I've made 2 config files which are aimed at 2 different groups of people. Read on if you want to know more..

Quake Live is an extremely configurable game, unlike almost any other. You can change so many things that new people usually don't realise, including some settings which provide an obvious benefit to you. A lot of new people often consider it as cheating because they didn't know about these things, but in reality the customisability is a large part of what makes Quake so good.

Here I have made two separate config files. Both include a bunch of essential settings and tweaks which I think every player should know about and use.

The first is just there settings, without any extra settings which are just personal preferences. I feel all of the settings in the config provide a benefit in-game, through one way or another. The second is a very comprehensive config which includes most of the configurable settings someone may want to change in the game, aside from very personal ones such as mouse sensitivity and accel.

The configs are very heavily commented - I have aimed to explain to people what each command does or why people use it. Sections include:
    1. Ease of use tweaks
    2. Video settings
    3. Mouse settings
    4. Weapon settings
    5. In-game visual settings
    6. HUD settings
    7. Audio settings
    8. Gameplay tweaks
    9. Network settings
    tl;dr - 2 configs. 1st is for new people who want the 'edge' other people have, and the 2nd is for people who want to delve further into customisation, but aren't sure what to change or what settings do. If you download them please read them - Just open it in Notepad or something.

Please download and reply with comments, especially is it helps you.

How do I use this config? Where do I put it?
    Put this in your Quake Live \baseq3\ folder. If you don't know where that is:

Windows 7/Vista: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    Windows XP: %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    GNU/Linux: ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3

.. So for example, in Windows 7:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3

Then you will need to load it in-game. Use the console to do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+`, or CTRL+ALT+~ depending on your keyboard's regional layout. Then type:

/exec m16-qlessentials.cfg or /exec m16-qlpro.cfg depending on which config you downloaded. Then to restart the game with the settings, type in console again:

/vid_restart

More info:
    Yakumo's 'Ultimate Quake Live Guide': http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?831
    My blog: http://emsixteen.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/essential-config-tweaks-for-beginners-and-semi-comprehensive-pro-config/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/emsixteen

Senior Member motion_snk is on a distinguished road motion_snk's Avatar
    You're shares are always awesome
    I'll come back with feedback later but so far so good.

Member Cassadaga_Riots is on a distinguished road
    Excellent stuff man, I'm sure this will be very helpful for all of the newer players.

Senior Member sperglord is an unknown quantity at this point sperglord's Avatar
    Seems helpful for new players, but since it is targeted at said players might be nice to include something telling them where to save the cfgs after reading through/editing it.

The comments in the files are great, good job.

Banned DCR is on a distinguished road
    I was excited about it being called semi-pro and "heavily commented". Got really disappointed. It has both less comments and settings then even my own config lol. Please rename it to noob settings config essentials instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I was excited about it being called semi-pro and "heavily commented". Got really disappointed. It has both less comments and settings then even my own config lol. Please rename it to noob settings config essentials instead.
    Rather than being a ballbag like always, fancy sharing your config then? Or the settings in here which I'm missing out on that aren't simply preferences or vstrs and aliases?

.. and don't lie about your cfg having more commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by lt View Post
    Seems helpful for new players, but since it is targeted at said players might be nice to include something telling them where to save the cfgs after reading through/editing it.

The comments in the files are great, good job.
    Will do, and ta.

Member Velicity is on a distinguished road
    Some useful settings like r_lodbias, cg_waterwarp, cg_lightningimpact are missing.

con_height 0.4 could be in your config too because most new players would want to check their crosshairs and the console would hide half of it so its kinda hard to check the visibility while aiming on a model.

Its a nice idea though I don't know how useful it really is. I'd prefer to check a cvarlist and build my own config when I was new to Q3 based games to keep my config short and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Velicity View Post
    Some useful settings like r_lodbias, cg_waterwarp, cg_lightningimpact are missing.

con_height 0.4 could be in your config too because most new players would want to check their crosshairs and the console would hide half of it so its kinda hard to check the visibility while aiming on a model.

Its a nice idea though I don't know how useful it really is. I'd prefer to check a cvarlist and build my own config when I was new to Q3 based games to keep my config short and simple.
    Ta for the feedback. I dunno, I just want to give people who really don't know what they're doing something to look at. I loved fiddling with things too, but I know a few people just don't have a clue what they're messing with, or don't want to.. This is to try and give them a hand. The first is so that people who know they're missing out on something can just load up any real needed game changing settings, then the second is for those who want to know more.

I've added those settings and lightningimpactcap. I thought I had waterwarp but apparently not.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    r_subdivisions "80"

means you can get a better idea of what's actually a possible shot imo

Quote Originally Posted by PoLLeNSKi View Post
    r_subdivisions "80"

means you can get a better idea of what's actually a possible shot imo
    From the CFG:
    / Subdivisions
    // This one is hard to explain. It controls how detailed QL draws the geometry.. It's
    // basically how smooth curves are. You can use 2 possible settings really: 4 or 80.
    // 4 is default and is the nicest looking, with smooth curves and the intended look of the
    // map, however sometimes you will notice that shots 'go through' corners. This is because
    // the actual collision geometry is a little blockier than these smooth curves. This
    // slight problem is why a value of '80' is also allowed - It is the closest you can get
    // to the actual clipping of the collisions. It gives you a slight visibility increase on
    // some areas of some maps (for example, looking from MH on Campgrounds upto the LG stairs
    // spawn), but it is really ugly as the corners everywhere are blocky.
    seta r_subDivisions "4" // 4 = Smooth curves, 80 = closer to actual clipping but blocky

+ Reply to Thread