+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tutorial: create your own fragmovie

Senior Member visje is on a distinguished road

tutorial: create your own fragmovie

In one of the more recent videos i published, i am throwing grenades for 3 minutes in a row. These frags were taken from a collection of over 800 demos! It didn't take me that long to create it though..

In this tutorial i will try to explain all the steps i have done to create such a video, in the hope that it will help and motivate more players to create a video too!

STEP 1: CREATE A MOVIE.CFG
    I am not going in to great details for this step, because there are enough resources available that cover this topic thoroughly. But if you are like me, and you do not want to spend that much time and like to take the easiest route..:

.1 make a backup of your playing config and enter a game
    .2 /unbindall
    .3 /cvar_restart
    .4 /r_mode 14
    .5 /s_musicvolume 0
    .6 /cg_forceenemymodel keel/bright
    .7 /vid_restart
    .8 /writeconfig movie.cfg

/r_mode 14 will set your resolution as such, that your future video has the right dimensions for 720p (HD) playback on YouTube

STEP 2: GET QLDT
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/qldt/

QLDT stands for Quake Live Demo Tools and is a powerful program for playback, management and searching of demos.

After installing, QLDT should automatically locate Quake Live, and the required demos folder. Next to that it does need a little configuration. Click Options, Preferences and compare your settings to mine here. Also enter your Quake Live account information at the e-mailadress and password fields. Make sure the volume slider is set as in the example, which reflects s_volume 0.8, which is fitting for your future video.

After you are done, test it. Double click a demo, see if it runs, play a bit with the controls of the demoplayer.

STEP 3: GET FRAPS
    Fraps will convert your 'live' gaming screen and sound (+ optional microphone) to a .avi file. This program will save you much time and steps you'd have to undertake when choosing a different route. But, Fraps is not free software, and it is not allowed to promote piracy.

With Fraps installed, load up the software and hit the Movies tab. Compare your settings to mine here.

Yes, the framerate is set to only 30 FPS. YouTube is limited to 30 FPS, so recording at a larger FPS rate would be ineffective.

When done, hit the FPS tab, and make sure 'Hide overlay' is checked. Otherwise an ugly yellow FPS counter is displayed on your screen (and your future movie).

Leave Fraps running, and remember the key you configured to start recording. Mine is set to F9. Run a test. Start a demo with QLDT, press F9, wait a little a while and press F9 again. Quit the demo, and look if you can find and play the video Fraps has created.

STEP 4: SEARCH THE RIGHT FRAGS
    With QLDT you can search your democollection for a large variety of events. In this example we are going to search all the demos for direct hit grenade frags.

In the QLDT menu, hit Tools, Find frags. At the bottom of QLDT you should see filtering options appear. Select the Grenade Launcher as Weapon, put a check at Direct hit only. See the settings i have used here.

Hit the Find button. Depending on the amount of demos you've got, it can take a while for QLDT to finish. When done, you should get a similar result as shown here.

Double click the first item in the list, and QLDT will start the demo at exactly the moment your requested frag is going to be made. When your frag has been shown, it will load up the next demo from the 'playlist', and continues like this until the list is finished.

*If QLDT does not play the next demo in the list automatically, check the Preferences and configure the correct option.

When loading up the first demo, hit F9 to tell Fraps to start recording. Just leave Fraps recording until the playlist has finished. Press F9 again to finish (and unlock) the recording and check the result.

STEP 5: GET VIRTUALDUB
    http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

VirtualDub is a great opensource program to perform simple video-editing jobs in. For this project we are going to use VirtualDub to cut out the best scenes from our freshly recorded .avi's. Yes avi's, because if you just recorded a lot of action, Fraps will have made a multitude of avi files.

Start VirtualDub and and hit File, Open File. Locate your Fraps Movie folder and open up the first .avi file. If you have indeed got more than 1 avi file, then you'd have to 'append' the other avi files as well. In that case, Hit File, Append AVI segment, and open up the second video. Repeat this last step until all avi files are loaded up.

Use the video control bar to check if the sequence is right. If not, restart the process in VirtualDub.

Use the video control bar or the arrow keys on your keyboard to find the first fragment you like. You will have to mark the beginning of the fragment and the end of the fragment by using the marker buttons in VirtualDub. See the screenshot here.

Now, export the selected fragment. But first we'd have to make sure that you will preserve the best quality possible. No video 'encoding', no audio 'encoding'.

.1 In the menu, select Video, Full processing mode
    .2 Video, Compression. Make sure '(Uncompressed bla/bla)' is selected. OK.
    .3 Audio, Direct stream copy
    .4 File, Save as AVI
    .5 Locate a folder you will remember and save the file as 'frag-01.avi'

When done, select the next wanted fragment. Mark the start, mark the end, and save the file as 'frag-02.avi'.

Keep on doing this until the large file is 'processed'.

Ok, now we've got a lot of tiny clips, and these tiny clips have to be put together again. And for this step, we will use VirtualDub again. Luckily, this process goes a lot quicker.

.1 File, Open video File, locate frags-01.avi, and open it
    .2 File, Append AVI Segment, put a check at 'Autodetect additional segments by filename', locate frags-02.avi, and open it.

The placed check makes sure VirtualDub appends all sequenced filenames. Of course check if the video is complete by quickly scrolling through the video.

Next: File, Save as AVI, save the file as 'fragvideo-raw.avi', and wait. When done, check the result in your favorite media player.

STEP 6: GET WINDOWS LIVE MOVIE MAKER
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker

Another freeware program, great for hobbyist people like us, there is not much knowledge required to use this.

When installed, load it up and import your 'fragvideo-raw.avi'. I do this by dragging, but there are several ways of doing so.

Now it is up to you. In Windows Live Movie Maker you can add a picture, you can add music, you can add text and you can even add some nifty transition effects. This tutorial will not cover these options, but i do want to point out that i prefer videos with added audio. I use 'Audacity' to cut out an audio segment, exactly of the right length (the length being the length of the video). With Audacity i can easily add a 'fade-in' and 'fade-out' effect as well.

When done with editing in WLMM (Windows Live Movie Maker) it is time to encode your final video. Hit File, Save movie, Recommended, and wait. The result will be a .wmv file. I like the final product to be encoded to .wmv, because the file size is great, and YouTube processes these type of files pretty quick.

STEP 7: YOUTUBE IT!
    Log in to your YouTube account, upload your new vid, tap yourself on the shoulders and have some candy. Don't forget to dump the link on these forums.
    Last edited by visje; 05-03-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Senior Member gpig is on a distinguished road
    Excellent tutorial- but what are the advantages of fraps over the free Wolfcam?

Senior Member Domino is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gpig View Post
    Excellent tutorial- but what are the advantages of fraps over the free Wolfcam?
    Nothing.

you should name this tutorial. "movie tutorial for people that don't care about quality."
    Last edited by Domino; 05-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Senior Member visje is on a distinguished road
    In the context of the used example, using Fraps will save you a lot of time.

Banned Fudge911 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Withheld by the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Nothing.

you should name this tutorial. "movie tutorial for people that don't care about quality."
    So Boxxy is fine. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    Nothing.

original pos by you:
    Nothing. and i see windows movie maker.....Bad tut.

im i crazy or?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    well for beginner it is just fine and his vids are decent to watch on 720p,with lil editing it could be clean pic but it is okay for short vids...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

Banned Fudge911 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Withheld by the Witness Protection Program
    Nothing.

Perhaps it's a matter of pride.
    Boxxy made the Wolfcam config, along with Kitten.

*Gilchrist_
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge911 View Post
    Perhaps it's a matter of pride.
    Boxxy made the Wolfcam config, along with Kitten.
    To be honest, Domino only helped a little with formatting the first version. I just put his name right at the top because I think that he deserves it because of all the stuff he's done for moviemaking in general, not necessarily that config.

*HA_HA_HA_YEAH
    There's a difference between "frag movie" and "frag video". Frag videos are typically short clips showing off an impressive frag (useful tutorial for this purpose). Frag movies differ from frag videos because they're a collection of frags, synchronized with music, and has special effects. This tutorial is useless if you're making a frag movie.

+ Reply to Thread