+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse - heavy or light ?

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infntnub View Post
    I honestly think this is yet another "whatever you're used to" topic.

How would you classify the weight of an mx518? Whichever category that fits gets my vote... :~)
    105g. Definitely not heavy, but not super light either.

Member str00 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Some people think more friction (or weight) gives more control. Simple mathematics is enough to prove them wrong.
    Well, since more weight requires more force, it's easier to control the acceleration if the mouse is heavier. Atleast it works for me, but i can agree that a better solution would be to buy a better mousepad.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by str00 View Post
    Well, since more weight requires more force, it's easier to control the acceleration if the mouse is heavier.
    No. It is literally the exact opposite. Do you study physics? Do you know why an oscilloscope uses an electron cannon to draw graphs? It's because electrons weigh practically nothing, and thus can be accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light and slowed right back down to rest at mere microseconds with minimum force.

Member str00 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    No. It is literally the exact opposite. Do you study physics? Do you know why an oscilloscope uses an electron cannon to draw graphs? It's because electrons weigh practically nothing, and thus can be accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light and slowed right back down to rest at mere microseconds with minimum force.
    No, i study maths. Though, i have taken part in a few courses of physics too, but i just didn't like it much. However, my point was, as you said, if i use just a minimal amount of force and my mouse weighs next to nothing, the mouse accelerates close to the speed of light in a fraction of a second and at that moment i can safely say that my mouse is out of my control.

In other words, i don't need to use so much energy to keep my mouse movement smooth when the mouse weight a bit more. Of course, the main problem of this is low friction, so as i said, would be better to have a better mousepad than a heavier mouse.

Also, i have tried to use 0 weights in my mouse many times, and everytime i have to add the weights back in. I just can't keep my aim smooth, especially if i have to move my mouse faster.

That's... just... odd. Have you tried using something lighter for more than a week? Even though I hate the Kana with a passion I still have to admit that the fact that it weighs so little is giving me pretty much perfect control. Theoretically, having a mouse that weighs nothing would give you as much control over your mouse movement as you have control over your hand.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Theoretically, having a mouse that weighs nothing would give you as much control over your mouse movement as you have control over your hand.
    Exactly, you are evolved for precision control of your hand the way it is, not with any weight added to it or friction against it. If a large part of mass was taken out of your hand it would make sense that replacing that mass would give better control. And if you have your hand around the mouse the way you normally should it won't accelerate to infinity no matter how light or little friction it has.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 03-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member xdc is on a distinguished road xdc's Avatar
    where is the option for medium / in-between ?

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    I can't stand heavy mice. If I was rich I would make my own mouse with state of the art materials. It would be something like a wmo or kinzu but weigh like 40g, and the weight distribution inside the mouse would be even. The cord would be as light as possible.

It is very frustrating that mice manufacturers don't even try to reduce the weight of the mouse. It's like ~75g is the best they can do without making the mouse so tiny that grip becomes a problem, like the salmosa.

I would even consider BAM for the feet/pad as it is the only known material (afaik) with less friction than teflon.

Senior Member ybl is on a distinguished road ybl's Avatar
    omg, its embarrassing but this is what i did to my mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDm-5LbJTDQ

light mouse ftw, /thread
    CA with <16 slots is nothing.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    I'm using a cheap generic mouse (made by Mikomi) just so I can get the lightest mouse and chord possible. I had to laugh when I realized how heavy the WMO is and the way its chord keeps dragging at first. I have small fingers so this mouse suits me perfectly, I wouldn't consider a mobile mouse though.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

+ Reply to Thread