+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse - heavy or light ?

Hybrid View

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar

Question Mouse - heavy or light ?

I've been using a Logitech G5 for a while now and occasionally flip out the gimmicky weight caddy and swap the weights around. They come in a loverly metal box, in a foam matrix and it's very enjoyable.

The G5 36 gram adjustable weight cartridge gives you hundreds of variations on balance and heft - including one that's perfect for your unique gaming style.
    I've recently been wondering if this isn't just a load of old bollox though and I'd be better off with no weights at all, playing with the lightest setup possible. More responsive and less strain on my wrist ?
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    i prefer heavier mice. i tried a couple new-ish mice, and they seemed so flimsy and full of air. i like the way that heavier mice feel like every inch of it's innards is in use for something, even if they arent. plus they just feel more comfortable for me (on this mousepad at least).

Senior Member crucci is on a distinguished road
    I prefer lighter mice. If I could have a mouse that didn't weigh at all, I'd use it. IMO weight only makes it harder to have consistent and controllable mouse movement across changes in direction and speed. It also adds unnecessary friction. If possible, I'd also have as little friction between the mouse and the pad as when moving my hand in the air.

Senior Member SixtyFive is on a distinguished road SixtyFive's Avatar
    Lightish.
    I tried pulling the weight out of mx510 once and it felt completely off in my hand. Though it's pretty light with the weight, as is.
    I think it depends on the size of your mouse. Having a big but weightless mouse would feel weird.

Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    If possible, I'd also have as little friction between the mouse and the pad as when moving my hand in the air.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-p...e/devices/3443

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    I prefer lighter mice. If I could have a mouse that didn't weigh at all, I'd use it. IMO weight only makes it harder to have consistent and controllable mouse movement across changes in direction and speed. It also adds unnecessary friction. If possible, I'd also have as little friction between the mouse and the pad as when moving my hand in the air.
    Yeah exactly. Also there's the drag of the wire across the table for the WMO which has a horrible bulky wire. I have another mouse that has a really light wire with ZERO drag and it's much lighter overall but unfortunately it gets confused at really high speeds so I can't use it. Even if you have the WMO wire perfectly elevated in front of you there's an imbalance in movement that it causes. When you're aiming it's a really precise thing in a short period so the slightest thing like that can hurt it. I can't imagine using a mouse that's even heavier than the WMO which I find heavy. My other mouse that I find much better weighs only 60g, the WMO 125g while I see 245g for a Zowie mouse here? (though it may be super low friction).

Surely these things are a lot more important than using 1000Hz rather than 250Hz. I even had a look at wireless mice but they seem problematic for a number of reasons.

The reason I got the WMO (again) is because the pros often use it and have used it. But is it safe to assume that the pros are always doing the optimal thing? Maybe they just got used to it out of habit and don't think about it since it's also what other pros use.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 05-08-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Senior Member crucci is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    The reason I got the WMO (again) is because the pros often use it and have used it. But is it safe to assume that the pros are always doing the optimal thing? Maybe they just got used to it out of habit and don't think about it since it's also what other pros use.
    Yeah I agree the WMO cord is a bit bulky. I don't really know though how reliable cordless mouses are currently for gaming and whether there's noticeable added delay. It'd be great to use a lightweight cordless mouse that didn't have noticeable added instability or lag.

Senior Member Anjexu is an unknown quantity at this point
    Generally lighter is better from my experiences, but the added weights might make it more uniform in terms of movements.

It really depends on the mouse, but a light mouse with most of its weight spread out fairly equally is (IMO) the best.
    OH HES SO PRINGLES

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPossible View Post
    I've been using a Logitech G5 for a while now and occasionally flip out the gimmicky weight caddy

I've recently been wondering if this isn't just a load of old bollox though and I'd be better off with no weights at all, playing with the lightest setup possible. More responsive and less strain on my wrist ?
    As light as possible. Weight = friction.

I wonder if Logitech will ever come out with a g6, you'd feel so fly with it.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    crap.. I was in the French Quarter today.. Stumbling drunk.. stopped at Radioshack on way home. Bought a Logitech M305. It's my first wireless mouse. I'm surprised by the way it responds. I think I can get used to it...
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Junior Member MidnightHeart is on a distinguished road MidnightHeart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    As light as possible. Weight = friction.

I wonder if Logitech will ever come out with a g6, you'd feel so fly with it.
    So much lol!
    The magic of friendship is what it's all about!

+ Reply to Thread