+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Tier 4.

  1. #11
    Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa...ehhh!
    Posts
    538
    You didn't say what you play. Is it ca, ffa, tdm, etc. Do you know what your skill rating is? T4 is 75 and over. 100 and over will get you the gold bar. To check your skill rating, go into an EMPTY server of whatever game mode you play, and type /serverinfo in the console, then scroll up and see what the server skill rating is (sv_skillrating). If there is more than you in the server, then the skill rating will be an average of all the players present. And remember that t4 has no upward limit of skill. You can have a 100sr with the gold bar and play someone in the 900's and they will make you feel like a complete noob.

    edit...as an example, my ffa sr is 953 and yet I have plenty of matches where I'm lucky to get 30 frags. Check my match log for last night playing a guy called fgt. You'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by intheway; 10-14-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

  2. #12
    Junior Member xEnzo is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    13
    Keep on practicing

  3. #13
    *kyrist
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kaetor_ View Post
    Tiers mean nothing at all. I'm rated in teir 4 and there are players in tier 4 who are far better and players in tier 4 who are far worse.
    This. Sums up everything. All the tier discussions on these forums are pointless.

  4. #14
    Senior Member barbarossa is on a distinguished road barbarossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrist View Post
    This. Sums up everything. All the tier discussions on these forums are pointless.
    but ppl have to understand, so they are not until they are ...
    drunk member of drunk clan obviously drunk, lacking any accuracy

  5. #15
    Senior Member d3phx is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrist View Post
    This. Sums up everything. All the tier discussions on these forums are pointless.
    i wouldnt say pointless, but the arguments are poor and biased.

    if the skill floor for tier 4 was 100 instead of 75, some of these issues may have NEVER arisen.

  6. #16
    Member TurtleBay is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by d3phx View Post
    i wouldnt say pointless, but the arguments are poor and biased.

    if the skill floor for tier 4 was 100 instead of 75, some of these issues may have NEVER arisen.
    And how often would there be a total of zero active tier 4 games? I have bounced between tier 3 and tier 4 and the way I can tell that I am in tier 4 is that there are no games to join outside of prime time 7pm-10pm hours.

    It would be great is Quake could split out the "plays 3 hours a day" tier from the "play one game a day" players, but this isn't Starcraft II where there are hundreds of thousands of active players so we can't get separate Diamond (top 20%-top 2%) Masters (top 2%-top 200, play constantly) and Grandmasters Leagues (Top 200 players, pros play for a paycheck).
    Last edited by TurtleBay; 10-14-2013 at 04:10 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member d3phx is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleBay View Post
    And how often would there be a total of zero active tier 4 games? I have bounced between tier 3 and tier 4 and the way I can tell that I am in tier 4 is that there are no games to join outside of prime time 7pm-10pm hours.

    It would be great is Quake could split out the "plays 3 hours a day" tier from the "play one game a day" players, but this isn't Starcraft II where there are hundreds of thousands of active players so we can't get separate Diamond (top 20%-top 2%) Masters (top 2%-top 200, play constantly) and Grandmasters Leagues (Top 200 players, pros play for a paycheck).
    there are always plenty of active tier 4 ca games every time i log in. if you're talking about a different gametype, then i wouldnt know. changing the skill floor from 75-100 would create more tier 3 games for all of the tier 3 whiners and most of them would never become tier 4 anyways, which is what (evidently) all of them want. at the same time, it would help safeguard tier 4 servers from unskilled tier 3 players that think they can hang because the skill ceiling in tier 3 would also be higher and players would remain in that tier longer (and hopefully get better.)

    i really dont see how there's a downside to my idea.

    EDIT: the majority of the "good" tier 4 players in my region, generally, play at or around the same time and same hours most nights anyways.
    Last edited by d3phx; 10-14-2013 at 04:28 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member NOVALEMATARME is an unknown quantity at this point NOVALEMATARME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tier 4
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    they had more tiers and it didn't work
    Why? Maybe because of tier slumming and id software giving and A-ok to it?

  9. #19
    Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVALEMATARME View Post
    Why? Maybe because of tier slumming and id software giving and A-ok to it?
    No, I think it was because it further segregated the community. There just aren't enough players to populate more tiers. However, and this has been suggested many times, it seems like it would be beneficial to raise the skill rating cap for T4 from 75 to 100.

  10. #20
    Senior Member EvilSuperman is on a distinguished road EvilSuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia QLD
    Posts
    230
    what he said
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVALEMATARME View Post
    Why? Maybe because of tier slumming and id software giving and A-ok to it?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts