+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tier 4.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlin View Post
    Yes, actually, I do.
    Then your expectations are somewhat ridiculous, I guess. Tell you what, the poor guy jumping between tiers and occasionally getting himself kicked from the higher level matches is not the only person on Earth who wants to play and have some actual fun.
    No, I personally don't expect 7 (or 9, since pubs are usually 5v5) people to waste so much time so that ONE guy can have his match (or at least the part of it where he wanders aimlessly around the map and shoots robots, walls, whatever). Dunno about them, but I'm a filthy egoist, you know - you see, I play games to have fun. I don't generally play games so that others can have fun at my expense. That would be pretty stupid to be honest.

As to what the poor guy can do, well, from the top of my head, at least two things. 1) spec, 2) ask. It's that simple, really. As soon as some guy says "hey i recently got bumped to tier 4 and it seems very hard, any hints" I will happily jump in and tell all sorts of useful stuff. I can name 20 people who will do the same. But if you hop into the match and pretend you already fit right there, you get treated accordingly. If you realise after one or two maps that this is in fact pretty fckin hard and you could use some pointers, that's perfectly okay. But some people are actually oblivious to how awful they're "playing", and they stay in the game forever. No, they aren't learning anything either. So they get a kick.

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    Perhaps we are looking at this in the most extreme cases - my theoretical noob is a fairly competant player who is too good for tier 3 and does ok in the more average tier 4 games but cannot compete in the higher end, while your theoretical noob has only just learned how to switch a computer on.

Perhaps this noob shouldn't play for hours in the same server, if there's not someone else around the same skill level. But one or two games, sure. But speccing wont adjust his skill level - it wont get him back into tier 3 and he may learn some things watching a tier 4 game but there's only so much theory before you have to learn practical. I think we agree here tbh, you're right it does suck if they don't even show any remorse for their noobiness and offer the spot to someone else after a couple of tries.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Perhaps we are looking at this in the most extreme cases - my theoretical noob is a fairly competant player who is too good for tier 3 and does ok in the more average tier 4 games but cannot compete in the higher end, while your theoretical noob has only just learned how to switch a computer on.
    Not that bad, I think. Jumping straight into mid-level T4 game straight from T3 will make you look damn stupid even if you're pretty competent at switching the computer on. It's just that in T3 CTF you can get by with shooting stuff better than others do, whereas in T4 you also need to think and be aware of wut is actually going on. A whole world of difference, that.

he may learn some things watching a tier 4 game but there's only so much theory before you have to learn practical.
    That's the order of doing things though. Not try doing practical stuff without any clue whatsoever and then wonder why it's not working. Or not even wonder, there's usually no time for that during the match. Just keep being a zombie.
    Doesn't work.

w t f is censored. SERIOUSLY....
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 10-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Oh come now, almost all tier 4 pubs, really... they're mostly populated by the same 50 people who show up in div3/div2 clans when a tournament crops up :P Teamplay with these may not be very well refined, but they appear where they're needed more often than not. Some T4 freshmen are real extreme cases in comparison - sometimes it even looks like they're deliberately hiding from the heat of battle.

Member chino3000 is on a distinguished road
    this happened just now: i join a server and after 30secs while warmup the admin tells me "1.2k ELO guy leave" ... messed me up!
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 10-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Junior Member duxstar is on a distinguished road
    I can personally attest to this thing of just kicking people who "aren't" good enough,
    Im a borderline T3/T4, high T3, low Tier 4 type of player and in CA always do almost 200 damage at least to someone; in fact whenever I get bumped to t4 I make it my mission/job to try to damage the best player on the opposing team. I even say things like "hey my LG sucks, and and a low tier 4, how do I get better at lg, or try to listen when someone says "go mid" or something like that"

However no matter what happens some frustrated kid after a map or 2 is all like "damn you suck" and next thing I know I'm being kicked, sometimes when there's other guys on the other (better) team that have a worse score than me! I know it all "sounds" like exaggeration but I'm not kidding, I hate going T4 and not because of the increase challenge, but because the raging testosterone some of them have that makes their "elo" score the most important thing in the world to them.

I try telling them ...... listen I don't want to be here and be kicked for sucking, YOU don't want me here, but the game won't let me join a T3 server anymore, so your stuck with me untill I "suck" here enough to get bounced back down to t3 ..... where I normally top the scoreboard/come near the top. It's a vicious cycle =/

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metapsy View Post
    , the so called good players who played that game for years and couldn't even adapt to a common situation and carry a single 'newb' on their team... Here is the real fail.

Those guys could ask themselves what they did wrong, learn from that mistake, and actually improve, but it's easier to find a scapegoat and to kick him. Problem solved. Then they can continue to play brainlessly, just like they did, and expect to win anyway.
    I was avoiding this thread but wanted to quote some truth....

Well said m8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Member chino3000 is on a distinguished road
    i just lost a lot games in a row to see how it is going in T3 .. its horrible!
    i rather work my ass off, get blamed for losing the game and finally get kicked than playing at T3.
    truth hurts

Junior Member Larha_ is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by duxstar View Post
    I can personally attest to this thing of just kicking people who "aren't" good enough,
    Im a borderline T3/T4, high T3, low Tier 4 type of player and in CA always do almost 200 damage at least to someone; in fact whenever I get bumped to t4 I make it my mission/job to try to damage the best player on the opposing team. I even say things like "hey my LG sucks, and and a low tier 4, how do I get better at lg, or try to listen when someone says "go mid" or something like that"

However no matter what happens some frustrated kid after a map or 2 is all like "damn you suck" and next thing I know I'm being kicked, sometimes when there's other guys on the other (better) team that have a worse score than me! I know it all "sounds" like exaggeration but I'm not kidding, I hate going T4 and not because of the increase challenge, but because the raging testosterone some of them have that makes their "elo" score the most important thing in the world to them.

I try telling them ...... listen I don't want to be here and be kicked for sucking, YOU don't want me here, but the game won't let me join a T3 server anymore, so your stuck with me untill I "suck" here enough to get bounced back down to t3 ..... where I normally top the scoreboard/come near the top. It's a vicious cycle =/
    Exactly how it is for me too!

I read from another thread that skill ratings and tiers go like this:
    0-15 Tier 1
    16-30 Tier 2
    31-70 Tier 3
    71+ Tier 4
    100+ Gold bar (still tier 4)
    max: 999

Maybe instead of having another tier, there could be additional servers where players with skill rating 60-120 can join. Or something similar to that.

Senior Member GanglandOneUp will become famous soon enough GanglandOneUp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chino3000 View Post
    I personaly blame ELO for it, people are too focused on it.
    BRILLIANT!!! This is probably the best thing I have read on all the Tier rants of late.

OK, so ELO is important. It "Should" be the gauge that we measure ourselves as Quakers correct? I agree that the system is/maybe flawed. I agree that people. I agree people get kicked for multiple reasons. I guess when it comes to my own game-play I feel like I gauge my success/failures by HOW WELL I PLAYED in the games.

I don't personally put too much thought into the situation, with the exception of a couple forums here where I have made my 2cent suggestions as ways to improve the rating system so that it is more manageable for :everyone:

So, I find myself joining some servers (T1-4 whatever) where a team is losing horribly sometimes and try to help out. This ruins my ELO as most times in these situations the winning team is stacked, or someone is scoring 25-2 with very high Acc. when his teammates are basically standing still, or have the same in-game frag/death averages as the opposing team. I used to rage and whine about bots and kicks, or whatever. I know now that it's all part of the game. So I give myself props If I pulled off the fallaway snaprail, or the nice air-rocket, or creeped on someone with gaunt. That's why I play. Is that why you play? Or just to say, my ELO is this....

Hey, so I got owned by the LG Noob, or the RL spammer, or the botter, or etc/whatever. However, and this is my favorite tactic in these situations,, I GO AFTER THE GUY ON TOP. I frag him. I do it again. I try and own him. I make him remember my name. I try and help the team. If I got fragged, I message the team and tell them if I was able to damage my opponent, or give them a heads up on where I was and how many, et al. Of course If I play in an evenly matched server this all goes out the window. :O)

CA is my fav, and I will continue to play, ELO or no. My style doesn't lend to high ELO, however I will continue to gauge myself by my personal performance and not ELO. I can hold my own in most situations so to me a win is great, but if I did it on the coattails of someone else it's a wash.

Clint Eastwood said "A mans gotta know his limitations." ELO does not gauge this, YOU DO. And if you lie to yourself about it, your doing yourself a discredit, as well as the Quake community...........
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 11-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread