+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix the ping!!!

Junior Member drakfanskapetfu is on a distinguished road

Fix the ping!!!

since the ltest patch the game is unplayable... i pay 40$ for pro and cant even play cuz i got 60-80 ping to all servers.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Please follow the network debugging tips bellow:

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    DEBUG NETWORKING
    Any interrupted connection or blips on netgraph can be caused by something on your system, or outside of your system (ISP) causing a delay, or actually completely blocking your connection to the server for a time.

This can be faulty hardware (dying network card, any wifi connection), any internet using software (especially bittorent), malicious software (botnet infection), anyone who shares your internet in your home, oversubscribed lines on your street, ISP problems.

checking the cvar cl_currentserveraddress will get you the server IP in game (you must do cl_currentserveraddress on a currently active server, if it's one you just left, make sure you get the FIRST ip that spits out and not the one labelled "default:" also do not put in the PORT (eg ":27017" ) just the first 4 sets of 3 digits) , run tracert in a cmd prompt on that IP (or even better download a tool like winmtr (FREE) or Ping Plotter Freeware, set trace delay to 1 second to best simulate quake traffic) to identify where along the route your problem is coming from.

There are 2 common scenarios in homes

COMPUTER ----> MODEM -----> INTERNET

In this scenario the first ping listed is to your modem, the second ping is the first hop outside your LAN and on the internet.

COMPUTER ----> ROUTER ----> MODEM ----> INTERNET

In this scenario the first ping is from your computer to your router, the second ping value is router to modem, so the 3rd value and any subsequent ones are outside your LAN and on the internet.

Any problems (high pings) from the internet side of your modem are ISP routing issues so it's not a problem with your own equipment, but something you have to try and convince your ISP to look into and solve, or change ISP.

The first HOP after the modem is your local router (UBR if cable) and if this is struggling to respond quickly it tends to mean your street is oversubscribed by your ISP.
    İYakumo unr 2003-2010
    Source

edit: for mac you could try http://mtr.darwinports.com/ (free) or visualroute (limited free or commercial mac/pc)

You can get a game server ip to check with /cl_currentserveraddress in the game console.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 07-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.

*xAjo
    Hi.

I did a tracert to one of the swedish servers here. I have attached a screenshot in this post.
    I'm a little curious why the tracert go through both Denmark and Germany when this should be a swedish server?

I had stable 25-30 ping before the latest update and now it's between 80-90.. http://imgupload.eu/viewer.php?id=5668.jpeg

After "Telenor.se" it jumps to Denmark, Germany and then back to sweden again, but now it has 80ms.

And FYI. I live in sweden.
    Last edited by xAjo; 08-14-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Member zoxjq is on a distinguished road
    Have a think before you post next time. How in gods name can the quakelive devs "fix the ping". The location of players to srvers in something beyond their control. *huge doh!*

*viraptor
    Quote Originally Posted by zoxjq View Post
    How in gods name can the quakelive devs "fix the ping".
    During the beta - constant 20-30 ms delay to Frankfurt and Maindenhead. Right after the update, my delay is all over the place 100-200 ms. Nothing changed on my link side and I connect to the same servers. Before, I haven't seen that many people with high pings playing the game (probably just leaving because their link is not good enough).
    After beta - look at some Frankfurt games. People with significant gametime on their accounts complain about their >100ms ping. This is most likely a client issue.

Will post my game ping / network path in a bit.

*viraptor
    Or I won't... in one last try, I removed both the plugin and everything in my ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home
    Reverted my settings to what was there before... and everything works. I'm back to ~30ms pings. So yes - the upgrade from beta was an issue, but I won't restore from backups just to see which part caused the actual problems.

*xAjo
    Bump!

Any answer to my previous post? Q3 is by far one of the best FPS games to play multiplayer on but it's not fun when i ping 80-90 on a server that should be located in sweden where I also live.

*swecoin
    I got the same problem as drakfanskapetfu and xAjo*. I normally have 6-7 ping at Swedish server and after the update i have to play with 60-70. I got better ping in mosqow, frankfurt, paris then i got on the Swedish server..
    And i live in Stockholm and have 100mbit and the server is placed in Stockholm!? how is this possible?

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    The server locations have not changed, your ISP's ended up on a different route to them, the problem is nothing to do with id / QuakeLive.

Your only recourse is to complain about routing issues to your isp, send them tracerouts, and hope they investigate and fix the problem, or change ISP.

*xAjo
    Thx yakumo!

I asked a friend with another ISP to do a tracert to the same ip and his routing went only through sweden so it seems like the ISP that I have (bredbandsbolaget) have some routing problems to these servers

+ Reply to Thread