+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: August 11th changes

Junior Member radix is on a distinguished road

Cool August 11th changes

Hi guys! We just deployed a hotfix to resolve some issues that have cropped up since launch, and we thought you'd like to know about them.

One issue that we've been very concerned about is server capacities. Since we added so much content at launch, our locations with low hardware capacity have been struggling to run games with all public configurations, let alone user-started matches. To resolve this, we've decided to start up different sets of configurations at different locations, to make sure that our dynamic match startup system has room to start more matches as player population increases. Locations with very few hardware resources will only maintain a small number of public servers without tier restrictions (these matches have "Unrestricted Match" where there would otherwise be a skill indicator). Locations with an intermediate level of resources will run some unrestricted matches and some matches at a few skill tiers. Locations with a large amount of resources will run the full suite of configurations at all skill tiers and will probably have more added in the future.

We will be closely monitoring our resource usage to make sure that we're not hitting capacity limits. We want to make sure there are always public servers available, and also to allow our Pro members to start a match at any location.

We've also heard the community's feedback on our recent tier changes, and we've done two things in response to this. First, there will now be unrestricted Instagib servers running at all locations. We know that many people use Instagib servers as common meeting grounds for their friends, and would like to allow that to continue. Our locations with larger capacity will still have skill-tier-restricted Instagib configurations for a more matched experience. Second, we've increased the maximum skill tier that players can join by one: now players can join one tier down and three up, instead of the previous one down and two up. This should make it easier for you to play in public games with your friends.

Lastly, we have deployed a fix for some input problems that our standard Linux users were having when joining a game. If this doesn't resolve your problems, please let us know!

See you in game!
    --radix

*Icey_Pain
    Good to finally hear a response after the forums were down for over 36 hours(you could have sent a twitter update). It's good news, but it's obvious that there's still a lot that needs to be done.
    I will be looking forward to future updates.

Senior Member INCubus is on a distinguished road INCubus's Avatar
    Gj on the hotfixes guys.

*14tehmoney
    The servers are still all 6v6, when are you going to fix this?

Junior Member LigerZero is an unknown quantity at this point
    I actually like the increase for some of the smaller maps. For example, ctf4 seems to have be restricted to 4v4 all the time in ctf. I played in a 6v6 tonight and it was great. I did cut my teeth in Quake 3 on ctf4 only servers with 8v8 in some cases, so I guess I'm just used to the higher number of players(in the smaller maps). I also suppose that the 6v6 could have reduced the number of players on some maps also.

I have not been around in a while, so the increase on ctf4 may have been implemented long ago.....I'm not sure.
    Last edited by LigerZero; 08-14-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Senior Member namad will become famous soon enough namad's Avatar
    Thanks for update

Any news about game servers running on max players capacity for all game types? There are a lot of players who are waiting for some resolution

Thanks!

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar
    I don't really understand this.

If instagib is ranked now, then why is it marked and called as "unranked match" everywhere (match browser, history, also count in stats). Even the little icon remained. I thought this ranked instagib thing was just a bug, I'm pretty surprised you did that intentionally.

Anyway, nice job, looking forward to further bug fixes. (idk if I'm alone but I can't join dm6 servers, unpure client detected, made a topic in bug reports)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAimNoName View Post
    You cannot convince someone who does not think.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post
    I don't really understand this.

If instagib is ranked now, then why is it marked and called as "unranked match" everywhere (match browser, history, also count in stats). Even the little icon remained. I thought this ranked instagib thing was just a bug, I'm pretty surprised you did that intentionally.

Anyway, nice job, looking forward to further bug fixes. (idk if I'm alone but I can't join dm6 servers, unpure client detected, made a topic in bug reports)
    It isn`t ranked they just added unrestricted Instagib servers with no skillmatching limitations so people of any skill can meet up and play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar
    Ok then, maybe it sounds stupid, but what does "ranked" mean exactly. There is skill matching, appears in match history, adds to your global stats (last time I checked), so it basically is the same as every other ranked gamemode.
    What is/What should be the difference between ranked and unranked if not those things. Maybe I don't understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAimNoName View Post
    You cannot convince someone who does not think.

*Icey_Pain
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post
    Ok then, maybe it sounds stupid, but what does "ranked" mean exactly. There is skill matching, appears in match history, adds to your global stats (last time I checked), so it basically is the same as every other ranked gamemode.
    What is/What should be the difference between ranked and unranked if not those things. Maybe I don't understand it.
    Rank means that it uses the ELO system to determine which players are about the same skilllevel. Players that are too good, or too bad will be locked out. Unranked means, that anyone can join, even if they are way too good or bad.

+ Reply to Thread