+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Defrag maps for QL

*stoik
    nevermind just got it to work <3

*Kavlo
    tell us wat was the problem please. Maybe someone else will have the same problem.

Junior Member pistolp4 is on a distinguished road
    looks good

*TheFFFUUUguy
    Count reactors --> 23:842 sec
    Still my second week here and a lot to learn

*Kavlo
    You have to give a .dem of your run if you want your time to be on the scoreboard.

Senior Member Raz0rblade is on a distinguished road Raz0rblade's Avatar
    Because i dont longer have my demos i will accept every time...

*ELAPIDAE
    I thought I'd drop by because I am/was a competitive q3 defrag player ever since the first beta testings of the defrag mod. Because QL didn't have (and still doesn't) defrag I never bothered giving it a chance. I tried some old maps we used to run on back in q3 and.. It's hard to explain but I'm positive that at least 85% of all the defrag players from q3 would agree when I say it just doesn't feel right on QL. It's just a feeling it's hard to actually explain but.. QL + DF feels a bit off if you know what I mean.

Haven't touched any quake for years, installed q3 (& ofcourse defrag) again this week so it might just be because I'm a bit rusty tho on q3 the feeling's the same just as it has always been, but on quakelive.. Ofcourse, it's a different game but.. Sometimes the game feels too easy, maybe too "noob" friendly and at other times it just feels like it doesn't make any sense.

Anyways I might actually "compete" with you guys for those record times, if I may at least. Tried the raz strafepad map, to feel out the QL movement, was able to finish it completely in different ways (half beat, backwards half beat,..) without actually failing once yay! But yeah.. I don't know if id software actually listens to the community input but if they do, I do wonder why defrag hasn't been implemented (yet) with different settings than the ones I'm having an awkward feeling about right now.

Just a question towards you guys who are more aware of the things that go around on quakelive, are there any "defrag" competitions or tournees happening sometimes? or is it more like.. an attempt to have some sort of defragging fun on QL by you guys?

Another question, are there any specific gametypes or settings required to get those maps working properly? As some maps don't load when for example the gametype's ctf.

on a sidenote: the whole browser based thing is kinda weird for an old fart(game wise speaking ofcourse, I'm not that old myself) like myself who suddenly gets dropped from the stone age to the 21st century hahaha

btw, when I try to get cos1_beta7b to run it says the map wasn't found.. That's kinda weird so I'm wondering if something has changed about the way the game gets the files because the map is definitely where it should be so.. weird. And yes it's put on read-only.
    Last edited by ELAPIDAE; 05-14-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    You're right, there are some minor differences between VQ physics in QL and Q3. I've read one defrag players explanation of what are the exact differences, but I couldn't remember much of it now, except some general ideas like:
    - CJs feel different, I seem to get like 20+ up/s extra per CJ in DF
    - acceleration is also different, I think I've read that QL's sj accel was supposed to be faster, but again, I get better results in defrag (cgaz hud probably )
    - rockets are faster in QL, so you'd have to relearn the rocket timing if you would play any maps that require it
    - plasma climbing is somehow harder in QL, I think it'd be impossible to finish the last half of the plasma walls in Tr1ckhouse with VQL physics

Not really precise, but hopefully someone with better technical knowledge of Q3/QL engine will chime in.

As for QL defrag competitions, I don't think it ever went any further than internal and informal quakelive.com forum thread competitions... eg. see a time on the defrag maps here, try to beat it; see a time in the VQL/PQL fast-cap thread, try to beat it, etc.

We probably want see anything more than that until defrag becomes an official QL mod (if it ever happens).

And cos1_beta7b, I found the map and tried to put it in the baseq3 folder, but I can't even start the game while it's there, got one error about invalid file, then kept getting black screen every time I tried to start a practice match... maybe it wasn't converted properly, or there are different versions of it..

Oh, and welcome to QL.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen." ©

*ELAPIDAE
    Already figured out the rocket timings etc.. Didn't take more than a single run on a random map to figure it out but yeah, so far I've been able to get up to around 2.8k ups on the QLIVE_GRID map, which I guess isn't too bad for QL.

Haven't figured out the plasma climbing completely yet on QL, sometimes it just goes automatic you could just keep on climbing endlessly diagonally and other times it just randomly starts dropping which is weird but yeah, probably just due to me being a scrub with the ways of QL so far haha. I actually did do the last part of tr1ckhouse purely with plasma so it IS doable but yeah, like I said sometimes it just goes automaticly well and other times it just doesn't go like it should.

I've read about the technical differences between the engines but honestly, I never really cared about such things, if the engine allows you to pull off plasma climbing and all the other usual stuff we do/did on q3, it's just a matter of time to get everything going smooth.

Thanks for the warm welcome ^_

btw wouldn't it be a "good" idea to create a clan (whoever's premium/pro on here) and gather all the "defragging" people on quakelive together? Surely a lot of you guys also play q3 and having contact with eachother and going on q3 on defrag servers or sharing tips/tricks or just having some good ole chats can be nice, or am I just expecting/asking too much?

sidenote: shameless self-advertising you could say, http://qlhud.core.ws/id/0dDqL6
    Makes the game more enjoyable for me as my q3 df hud has always been on the small side.
    Last edited by ELAPIDAE; 05-15-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Senior Member Raz0rblade is on a distinguished road Raz0rblade's Avatar
    If u want some serious tricking u have to qo to the Quake 3 mod Defrag, ofc. But i think these maps are good to train with ql physics and at least for me they were fun.
    Still thinking this. Im registered at mdd and play defrag too(same nick as here). The difference of the feeling from VQ3 to VQL is just imense yeah....(never was into CPM).

I dont think something like defrag/tricking will be integrated official to QL because its not popular and u have to do all maps from the ground.

Plasma is different to VQ3. U can do endless climb in QL but because of the different gravity/air-accel or whatever settings maps from Q3 are harder to do. We had some guy posting demos of all Tr1ckhouse-Levels so i can say for sure it can be done.

There is some clan named DEFRAG in QL but actually u cant find it because stats are dissabled temporarly. However i could create some new one if the interrest is there...

+ Reply to Thread