cpma use and abuse ( cpm3a )

cmpa use and abuse ( cpm3a )

dnt know if this is the right place for this post but here goes

in quake 3 ( cpma ) there was this epic map witch was good for duels
    do ya reckon it is possable that this map is guna be added to quake live,
    here is a link showing vo0 vs czm on this map
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atI5SyXD070

Member eraD is on a distinguished road eraD's Avatar
    The map wouldn't play nearly as well with QL physics.

Member LaNcER115 is on a distinguished road
    Not without cpm gameplay
    FOR US CPM PICKUP GAMES GO TO IRC - #uscpmpickup @ Quakenet.org

Senior Member EmeraldTiger is on a distinguished road EmeraldTiger's Avatar
    Any CPM map can be made to fit QL physics with some changes here and there. That is what they did for Realm of Steel Rats and Dismemberment.

Basically, any jump pads that face towards a wall (air accel) rather than taking one straight up to a platform should be modified to have an angled bounce pad take you towards a platform. Also, the one area with the cut off path should have a platform put there so one doesn`t have to make a difficult jump to that side. Some other changes might be neccessary, but it is certainly doable. It would take less effort to convert this map than Dies Irae, which was modified from q2w to the point that the layout is almost completely different.
    Dont have had English lessons on school ?
    You dont understand word i just word do you?
    - Draven of LowLandLions

Check out my blog, EmeraldProductions:
    http://emeraldproductions.weebly.com/

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldTiger View Post
    Any CPM map can be made to fit QL physics with some changes here and there. That is what they did for Realm of Steel Rats and Dismemberment.

Basically, any jump pads that face towards a wall (air accel) rather than taking one straight up to a platform should be modified to have an angled bounce pad take you towards a platform. Also, the one area with the cut off path should have a platform put there so one doesn`t have to make a difficult jump to that side. Some other changes might be neccessary, but it is certainly doable. It would take less effort to convert this map than Dies Irae, which was modified from q2w to the point that the layout is almost completely different.
    have you ever played cpm3a with cpm physics? cpm has nothing to do with jumppads...

*HAHAHA_YEAH
    >CPMA map

>No CPMA physics

Not only would it not work correctly, QL devs would never take the time to optimize the map for QL physics. So, probably not going to happen.

*function9
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldTiger View Post

I wouldn't say any cpm(a) map would work with qlive physics. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that's why we have the q4 version of phrantic and not cpm24.

If you could explain how altering which direction a jump pad propels you would negate the physics differences between cpm and vq3/ql it would be helpful.

Senior Member EmeraldTiger is on a distinguished road EmeraldTiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by function9 View Post
    I wouldn't say any cpm(a) map would work with qlive physics. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that's why we have the q4 version of phrantic and not cpm24.

If you could explain how altering which direction a jump pad propels you would negate the physics differences between cpm and vq3/ql it would be helpful.
    Well, in cpm3a (and several other CPM maps), the jump pad in the very back has two platforms on the side of it, but just a wall in front of it, meaning that when you approach it you have to steer yourself mid-air towards either platform, otherwise you`ll just hit the wall. Although it is possible to slightly steer yourself this way in vq3 as well, it`s awkward, and so to resolve this issue, one should instead opt for an angled jump pad, which aims towards a platform above and across from it, much like the jump pad next to the PG on dm13. This helps make the movement more smooth.

In addition, the famous corner that you can take from the back hall to the MH / GL tele also relies on a mid-air turn, and at the speed in which one is dueling, this jump can`t be attempted in vq3. To compensate for this, one can place a platform where this turn is, so players can just walk over it onto where the MH / GL is.
    Dont have had English lessons on school ?
    You dont understand word i just word do you?
    - Draven of LowLandLions

Check out my blog, EmeraldProductions:
    http://emeraldproductions.weebly.com/

Member LaNcER115 is on a distinguished road
    Even if id wanted to add cpm3a to ql, they would have to get permission from the map maker. Without cpm gameplay, the mapper probably wouldnt allow it to be made into a vq3 map.

Example: Ninemil was asked by id for the permission to use cpmctf2 and cpmctf3 in QL.

Quoted from ninemil at CPMA forum: "When id approached me asking if they could include cpmctf2/3 in QL, I rejected on the grounds that I wasn't prepared to compromise either map's structures by dumbing them down for a simpler form of gameplay, and suggested they get arQ to code a version of Promode for inclusion into QL itself. The response was non-committal and wishy-washy at best".

I seriously doubt the maker of cpm3a would allow the most played cpm duel map to be changed to fit vq3/ql gameplay.
    FOR US CPM PICKUP GAMES GO TO IRC - #uscpmpickup @ Quakenet.org

Senior Member Spakk is on a distinguished road
    Here's the map made playable with bots (they stick in the Q3 version):

http://www.box.net/shared/7gtmfmo7h7

Extract qlive_cpm3a.pk3 to quakelive/baseq3 folder.
    Can be run from callvote menu.

+ Reply to Thread