+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen (Greasemonkey script)

Senior Member kryty will become famous soon enough kryty's Avatar

Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen (Greasemonkey script)

Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen (Greasemonkey script)
    Current version: 1.0.5
    Userscripts page: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/98531
    Direct link to script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/98531.user.js

chatinqlwelcomescreen.gif

Shows the Quake Live chat in Welcome screen with previous chat on the right. Below the chat is a text field, you can write your messages there and press enter to send.

The previous chat is not live. When you start to chat with another friend, the chat with previous friend is just moved to the right box.

For some time I had wanted to make a bigger chat window. First I was using QLPrompt but fraggedICE gave me the idea of using Welcome screen as chat.

Improvements over the basic chat:
    - Bigger chat
    - Better placement
    - Ability to see previous chat
    - If a friend you were just chatting with logs out, he's chat history is not lost

Installing
    First you need to be able to use userscripts.

Firefox:
    Scriptish (recommended) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/scriptish/
    Greasemonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../greasemonkey/

Prism:
    KETNAR has a pretty good guide on how to install greasemonkey to Prism.
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-(late)-xmass.

Internet Explorer:
    It is said that sometimes greasemonkey scripts wont work in IE plugin Trixie. I haven't tried it but if you'd like to try, here's the link.
    http://www.bhelpuri.net/Trixie/

Chrome:
    For Chrome no extensions are needed. Userscripts work without any (thanks to fraggedICE for letting me know), but there is atleast one extension that provides some useful features like offering an easy way to edit the scripts and more compatibility with greasemonkey api.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jmpbldmpobfkfo

After installing the plugin, install the script. For Firefox and Chrome, just click the Install button. To install the script in prism, right click the monkey head on the right bottom corner, choose "Download User Script..." and copy paste this:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/98531.user.js

If you find any bugs, let me know.

Changelog:
    Version 1.0.5
    - Fixed a bug where a #!join link was followed,the user saw the chat and not the link to game.
    Version 1.0.4
    - Before every time a new message came, the whole message div refreshed, now the script only adds the new message at the end of message div
    Version 1.0.3
    - Changed Welcome image text to Chat
    - Changed Home menu Welcome text to Chat
    - If chat is already in view, no scrolling is done
    Version 1.0.2
    - Current and previous chat friend names shown above chats.
    Version 1.0.1
    - Increased timeout before focus is sent back to Welcome screen chat text field.
    - Added messages to Current and Previous chat windows that are used when no real chat content is present.
    - Scrolls the chat in view after sending a message (had problems with small resolutions)
    Version 1.0.0
    - First version

Known bugs / problems:
    - In order to maintain good focus on the chat text field, basic chat text field is not sable. If you write there, the focus moves back to Welcome screen chat text field.

TODO and Possible features:
    - Possibility to send multiline messages.
    Last edited by kryty; 08-31-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: New version 1.0.5 - 13.4.2011
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [ Linkify Quake Live chat links ][ Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen ][ All Quake Live chat messages to left ]
    [
    Quake Live Custom map launcher ][ Windowed mode background color changer and white box remover ]

[If you approve my efforts in the message above, +rep me : ) (the star/badge on lower left corner of the message)]

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    I found one small bug..after enabling this script..you will have to go to tools/greasemonkey/enable.. Otherwise all your scripts are off....
    Last edited by swampy; 03-07-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Please tell the names of the other scripts so I could see if I could something about the compatibility or at least warn other users.

And what browser do you use?

If anyone else gets the same problems as swampy, let me know.
    Last edited by kryty; 03-07-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [ Linkify Quake Live chat links ][ Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen ][ All Quake Live chat messages to left ]
    [
    Quake Live Custom map launcher ][ Windowed mode background color changer and white box remover ]

[If you approve my efforts in the message above, +rep me : ) (the star/badge on lower left corner of the message)]

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry View Post
    Please tell the names of the other scripts so I could see if I could something about the compatibility or at least warn other users.

And what browser do you use?
    hey kry.. It seems it was a simple problem easily fixed.. After installing script.. my scripts were turned off (firefox/greasemonkey) No problem.. just go to Tools/Greasemonkey and check on =enable= again.. All good to go. Looking forward to trying this script out!

The scripts were Quake Live New Alt Browser,Quake Live [Stable] Tier Viewer.. I can't comment on the the 3'rd script.. but as a free player I don't wait 15 seconds to play...
    Last edited by swampy; 03-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.

1.0.1 - Lighter, sending messages fails less (had to press enter multiple times) and now with informative messages.
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    it seems like it only has semi-focus or something, because if i press enter i get sent to the bottom of the page, as if i wasnt typing at all.

also, i dont like that it automatically redirects focus from the normal chat to this thing. i should be able to use whichever one i want. or at least fix it so it doesnt cut out in the middle of a sentence and make me only send the second half or something.

should add /clear, to remove all chat history from the main window to the previous messages one. also should allow some kind of logging... if this is even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KittenIgnition View Post
    it seems like it only has semi-focus or something, because if i press enter i get sent to the bottom of the page, as if i wasnt typing at all.

also, i dont like that it automatically redirects focus from the normal chat to this thing. i should be able to use whichever one i want. or at least fix it so it doesnt cut out in the middle of a sentence and make me only send the second half or something.

should add /clear, to remove all chat history from the main window to the previous messages one. also should allow some kind of logging... if this is even possible.
    Logging has already been suggested, thinking about that. Should not be too hard. Maybe another script, if someone doesn't want this or doesn't want logging.. I'm not really excited about the possibility to log all chats so don't keep waiting. Or do you even mean logging to file or?

And for /clear.. What I do = I copy the contents of chat to the new view, I would have to change how the code works if I were to implement that. It could be done but it would take some time and I have other stuff to do.

If you want to use the normal chat, at the moment you have to use some other screen than Welcome.
    To get the script to send messages without reading through quake live javascripts, I had to send the message to basic chat text field, switch focus to bottom of page and then click the enter button next to it. After that I had trouble getting the focus back so I made some stupid code, looking to fix that.

1.0.2 - Current and previous chat friend names shown above chats.

1.0.3 - Changed Welcome screen links to say Chat and now if chat is already in view, no scrolling is done.

1.0.4 - Before 1.0.4 every time a new message came, the whole message area refreshed, now the script only adds the new message at the end of message area

1.0.5 - I was told that when a #!join link was used, users saw the chat and not the link (thx kanzo). Fixed.

If you encounter any errors with my scripts, please tell me and the bug might get even fixed
    Last edited by kryty; 04-13-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [

*Zaxiry
    How do i start up chat with a friend?
    What i am saying is that when i started it up it says i have no active chats. what i wanted to know is how do i send a message to a friend if i don't have any active chats?

Click a friend name in the friends list, still need to use that.
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [

+ Reply to Thread