+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Standard vs Premium separation

Junior Member alterik is on a distinguished road

Standard vs Premium separation

What has basically happened with this update is that there are still A LOT of people who don't feel the need to pay and is making it seem like there aren't many premium servers to play the new maps on etc.

Suggestion:

Try and make it so the new premium maps get slowly pushed out to free standard users so that we can play the new content regardless of how many premium players are currently online. Maybe make it so premium/pro accounts get access to the new maps a month in advance or something before moving it to be accessible on free servers.

*Icey_Pain
    Then paying 48 dollars a year, wouldn't be worth it eh. Subscriptions should still offer benefits that are worth the money. And your idea would almost certainly make it worth less.

Banned DCR is on a distinguished road
    Nice try. Just pay up and get over it!

*Icey_Pain
    Quote Originally Posted by pllx View Post
    To summarize,

more free content (game types, maps) = more players

more players = more premium/pro players = more money = happy ID

more free content every 6 months = more exclusive content every 6 months = happy community = success

But maybe I'm just dumb/selfish/poor/embittered
    And then you will yet again get topics by people that are too lazy or poor to pay, that want the exclusive content free. It's not going to change a thing.(btw I am pretty sure free content along with additional premium content will be added soon)

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    I think atm it works quite well. When I'm on a premium server I get messages from friends to send them an invite. I do, the connect, we play, fun! However, I hope the low population of preium servers will sort itself out.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*PaC3
    I think it would be nice to have a few "standard" servers per gametype that would run all the free maps
    and besides that a couple of those premium maps, which would be on for a week or so and then change to another ones.
    In that way everyone could get a climpse of what it would be like to play those new maps agains real persons.
    It feels a bit stupid to pay for something when i have almost no idea what im getting.

Senior Member SmuvMoney is on a distinguished road
    I think QL could do two things to help alleviate or assuage the gap between Standard and Premium:

- Offer Freeze Tag or one of the Premium maps as a weekend DevPick. Rotate the map so that Standard players have a taste. Even as a Premium subscriber, I would not object to this. The DevPick would become an advertising mechanism, but it would probably help increase popularity and good will in my opinion.

- Bring back some id-created classic maps (Q1, Q2, Q3TA) and have them available to all players in QL. I think that would be huge for QL if one of the first post-QuakeCon updates dropped a new/classic map or two on the player base. Even recycling a non-holiday version of Silent Night would be a move in the right direction.

The community created maps should probably remain pay to play depending on arrangements with the mappers/mapping community. If id were to offer one free once in a while, I would not lose sleep over it.

*Icey_Pain
    Quote Originally Posted by SmuvMoney View Post
    I think QL could do two things to help alleviate or assuage the gap between Standard and Premium:

- Offer Freeze Tag or one of the Premium maps as a weekend DevPick. Rotate the map so that Standard players have a taste. Even as a Premium subscriber, I would not object to this. The DevPick would become an advertising mechanism, but it would probably help increase popularity and good will in my opinion.

- Bring back some id-created classic maps (Q1, Q2, Q3TA) and have them available to all players in QL. I think that would be huge for QL if one of the first post-QuakeCon updates dropped a new/classic map or two on the player base. Even recycling a non-holiday version of Silent Night would be a move in the right direction.

The community created maps should probably remain pay to play depending on arrangements with the mappers/mapping community. If id were to offer one free once in a while, I would not lose sleep over it.
    That of course is a good idea for advertisement reasons and to please the standard community. But the gap will remain.

Senior Member OmeK is on a distinguished road OmeK's Avatar
    wanna play premium maps ? buy an account, otherwise go to play premium maps with anarki & co.
    or just wait 1 or 2 years so they maybe relase u a "new" map.

Member ranatalus is on a distinguished road
    I imagine that, as new maps get released/old maps get licensed and ported, maps that have been premium only for a while will become public.
    HONK

+ Reply to Thread