+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad Ping Do to Routing? Possible Temporary fix!

Junior Member hayt is on a distinguished road

Bad Ping Do to Routing? Possible Temporary fix!

BACKGROUND:
    I've been having the ping problems for about 2 weeks, and during that time, I learned that one friend on Comcast Business class about 10 miles away has no problems. Another friend on Comcast in Chicago (about 20 miles away), also has no problems. This led me to think that the problem may have to do with my particular IP address/subnet, and if I could change it, I might be able to fix it.

FIX(WORKAROUND):
    I think my last IP was 67.184.224.197. My second IP was 67.184.225.149. Both these IPs had the same problem, and likely exist in a 67.184.225/23 subnet (or something like that, my subnetting is a little rusty). Routing affects whole subnets, not IPs, so a new IP in the same subnet will not work.
    The 3rd IP is now in the 24.12.31.xxx network and my routing is almost entirely fixed. Pings are normal, except to Chicago, where I ping 34 instead of the usual 12 (no big problem).

GETTING AN IP IN A DIFFERENT SUBNET FROM YOUR ISP CAN POTENTIALLY FIX YOUR ROUTING PROBLEM

HOW CAN I CHANGE MY IP?:
    DSL: At least on AT&T, every time you reboot the modem, it usually get a new IP address. Check your IP addresses and check your pings. Hopefully you can find an IP in an unaffected DHCP pool.

CABLE: At least on Comcast, you get an IP lease that is based on your MAC address. Rebooting devices simply won't work. Most routers allow you to clone and manually provide a MAC address, so you will:
    1. Have the router clone the MAC address of your computer, and reboot the router. If you've already cloned the MAC address, then start changing it. It uses HEX values, and each character can have a value of 0 through 9 or A through F, so just change one value each time and you should be good.
    2. Power your cable modem off for a few seconds, then power it back on.
    3. Make sure the router pulls a new IP address. Most routers will have an option for DHCP Release and DHCP renew, so execute those functions in that order, looking for a new IP when you renew.
    4. Repeat the process, testing your ping with each new IP. Note that it will need to be in a different subnet, so you can tell quickly if there's a chance it will work or not. If the first three values are the same, such as 67.184.224, then it isn't going to work

WHY THIS MIGHT NOT WORK:
    You may not be able to get an IP in a different subnet, or all the DHCP subnets your router has available are affected. If that's the case, I'm sorry and I hope it's fixed soon. id, please continue to work with Speakeasy on this. I think blocks of IPs are getting tagged with incorrect location information, and it's almost impossible for a user to talk to anyone at an ISP that has a clue to how routing works. Speakeasy at least has to have some contacts. This has been so painful.

PS If this helps, please RATE this thread OR sticky it.
    PPS Show me some <3 and please acknowledge and FIX the vertexlight + postprocessing + colorcorrection bugs on Retribution, Almost Lost etc.

Junior Member acob is on a distinguished road
    It worked!! Wow thank you sir. I cloned my computer MAC address the first time and it did not work. Next, I changed one number and it worked. The first 2 ip address I got started in 69.140, and the new one starts in 71.200, quite a change.

For reference, I have comcast cable modem and D-Link router. Clicked clone address in manual network setup, changed mac address by 1 number, router reboots automatically (for me), unplug modem, plug in modem when router restarts, and voila!

Junior Member xkcd is on a distinguished road
    Nice find Hayt. I was able to change the second octet but not the first. I'll try again later on today when no one else is using the 'net.

GL to anyone trying this. Hope it works for you!

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    with at&t you can login into your router via '"homeportal" if your using a 2wire modem and restart it. if your know what your doing

http://192.168.1.254/management or 172.16.0.1/management.
    Last edited by Adderall; 02-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Junior Member hayt is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by xkcd View Post
    Nice find Hayt. I was able to change the second octet but not the first.
    I would think you can change any octet you like. However, in my case, I just started modifying the last octet, and it may be better to start there. If you go through all the possible combinations there, then change one value in the 2nd to last octet, and cycle through the values in the last octet again. If anyone has the patience to go that far though, this probably isn't going to work.

No I meant I was able to get the second octet of the IP to change from comcast, with the change of MAC address in the router. Sorry for confustication.

Edit:

Ok changed MAC in the router. Multiple times. Same IP and or SubNet came back from comcast. Rebooted / power cycled both. Reset modem configuration. Everything. No dice.

FU level 3. FU Speakeasy. FU Comcast. Any word from higher up Id?
    Last edited by xkcd; 02-13-2011 at 02:01 PM.

xkcd, submit a ticket of your tracert report every few days

http://lg.level3.net/

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    For any that are in the U.K. and are using BT and their Home Hub:
    Inside the router, where the phone line(s) goes to, there are 3 (unless already modified) wires that connect. One is redundant. The one that goes off away from where the 2 main wires connect near to each other. If you disconnect the odd wire, your connection speed will increase.
    Reason: This other wire is simply for older style phone lines and is not needed. It enables unnecessary line traffic which in turn slows down the data rate.

What? Hit the submit button? Sorry maybe a little more information than a 1 liner would be better. My tracert or copied from that link?
    LookingGlass@level3.net? I appreciate the effort adderall. Just not very helpful as written.

ya that link is so you can ping lvl 13 pos routing servers w/o having to login to ql to get an ip. should have stated that - submit tickets to support@quakelive.com

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

+ Reply to Thread