+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: QuakeLive Strafe Pads HELP!

Junior Member MidiMightyMoe is on a distinguished road
    First of all, you're not doing bad at all, you're getting the hang of it, it just takes practice, remember that the hardest strafe lines have only been cleared by a couple of people, so you're never "done" with strafe pads .

Back to your video, Limbless_pony said everything : too large angles at the beginning and no slow rotation while in mid air. A good way to practice this slow rotation is to try to strafe in only one direction and try to see wich movement gives you the best acceleration (do it both sides).

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by SmuvMoney View Post
    The highest theoretical max CSJ is 540~ ups
    In q3 (125fps physic though) cgaz did a 600+ ups CJ with a bot , I'm not sure if a theoritical value has been computed yet.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey_Pain View Post
    if you go faster, pressing the spacebar will require different timing too.
    I've said it a zilion times, but yet again: increasing speed does NOT ALTER GRAVITY. In other words, what you stated is **. xd

Senior Member EmSixTeen is on a distinguished road
    Keep an eye on that UPS meter, too.. It should always be going up, no stopping. Keep moving the mouse out a little slowly and get that number ticking up.

Senior Member g0vn0r is on a distinguished road
    OP, you could try this:

Code:
    devmap raztrainql_beta3
    cg_speedometer 2
    timescale 0.25
    (bindable to a single key, if you want)

Think of it as a kind of "QL movement debugger". It's useful because thanks to the slow motion, you can actually SEE the speed thresholding inherent to the optimal angle, as well as QUANTIFY the benefits of applying the extra drift which Limbless_Pony was talking about in #3

In addition, it can be used for a number of other things, for example to fine-tune movements like CJs, RJs, plasma climbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    Also keep in mind last jump of most lanes is harder, not sure it that was intended by mapmaker.
    True, and iirc it was a design mistake

Senior Member RAZ3R is on a distinguished road
    I would advise against using timescale, I believe practising for the same length of time at normal timescale will be much more beneficial.

You should firstly watch this is you haven't already:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...tutorial-video)

I know you said you've watched numerous videos on how to strafe, though the quality of content in a number of them isn't too good, the video I just gave really does tell you everything and shows with correct examples. If you have watched it though, just follow the advice below:

You cj needs the biggest amount of work, you flick a little too fast - try going to the last lane and just practise cj'ing on to the first pad and back, that should help a lot and a good cj can get you a long way in strafe lanes, and in game where the first few jumps are the most important - even though you rarely do a full cj in game, the same technique is required for half cj's.

Now for actually strafing, firstly make sure you're only tapping jump, not holding it down, which maybe you are, though it's a common mistake and I can't tell from your video (for the duration jump is held down you can barley accelerate no matter what your angle). Then follow emsixteens advice - as you are strafing stare at your speedometer the whole time, find the angle where any less and it wouldn't be increasing and keep your crosshair just in this zone (the further you go past this point the less acceleration you will get).

And also please let us know how you've been getting on with the advice in this thread, it's good to see people make progress =).

*Dwoggurd
    RAZ3R summarized it well, I just want to clarify a few points:
    - If you have problems with lane #2 (which is actually third lane from left, after lane #0 and lane #1) you have to polish your strafe jumps specifically. Circle jump is not required for the lane #2, your cj skill is irrelevant here. It is better to practice on this lane without circle jumps, this way you may improve your first several strafe jumps and if you will start using circle jump for the lane #2 you can get away with weak strafes (which is not cool).
    - Very good circle jump is required only for latter lanes. For lanes 3-5 you just need a decent cj, try to practice 45-degree circle jump for those lanes as it's much more practical and useful in real games.

Here is a short video that demonstrates how to complete the lane2 without cj and the lane3 with 45-degree cj. Keep in mind that those lanes don't really require perfection. Sub-optimal jumps will work as well, thus, for example, you can get one good jump after one bad jump and still complete those pads. Try to correct your mistakes even if they don't really prevent you from completing those lanes.
    raztrainql_beta3 lane2/3

Senior Member Icey_Pain is on a distinguished road Icey_Pain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    I've said it a zilion times, but yet again: increasing speed does NOT ALTER GRAVITY. In other words, what you stated is **. xd
    In mysterious ways, you somehow concluded my post had anything to do with altering gravity.
    http://tweakers.net/ext/f/NbLylAavug...GIFHJ/full.jpg

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Well, in order to have jump timing changed you need to either strafe on diagonal surface or have gravity/timescale somehow altered. Other than that, jumping time (i.e. the time from pushing jump button to landing) is a constant value. Strafe lanes are flat. So...

Junior Member Stasker is on a distinguished road
    ah man, I'm so thankful I got all those replies. This is Really helpful. You guys are very precise about what I should do and better ways to practice. I feel I understand the points you guys are making; although ""getting it"" and ""implementing it"" are two different things. It might take me a while, but I'm gonna make an effort towards this.
    Again, Thank You!

+ Reply to Thread