+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QuakeLive Strafe Pads HELP!

Junior Member Stasker is on a distinguished road

QuakeLive Strafe Pads HELP!

Hey,
    I'm pretty new to QuakeLive and really like it, but I'm losing a bit of patience on the learning curve as some of the movement is actually really tough for me. I've been playing FPS games for a couple of years now but Quake is just a different beast.

So ok, I've downloaded RAZ3R's Training map and I'm stuck at the strafe pads.
    Itís painful but I have to admit lol, that I've seen dozens of youtube videos, and written tutorials, and have been trying to gain speed on those pads for -- literally -- Months..

I've posted a demo of me attempting lane 3 on the training map. excuse my language but if anyone has time PLEASE tell me what the motherFudge I'm doing wrong. Keep in mind I've read + seen the basic information on Many tutorials for this already. So I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm doing wrong from the demo.

Thanks for your time, I really hope this can make me conquer this once and for all
    BTW whoever IS proficient at these jump pads, you are Really lucky, appreciate it cause for some people itís tough as shoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV4ytqcZuQ

Thx again

Junior Member fragman is on a distinguished road
    the faster your speed is, the higher you need the angle of the mouse to be if that makes sence , also the mouse movement has to be quick and precise to get maximum speed out of each jump 8)

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Three things:
    1. Poor CJ (that will come with time though, I hope)
    2. Angles at the very beginning are too big
    3. You freeze the angle after flicking instead of adding a smooth slow bit of movement to it. The result is that while in first jumps, your angle changes from bad to better (because you start with too big one), in later ones the change is from just-right to too-small-so-acceleration-is-zero.

You're doing pretty well anyway ^^

hey guys Thanks so much, I'm still having a hard time with the idea of
    ""keeping the flickings BOTH fast, and making sure i don't just let it freeze without any movement once I go from one angle to another""

For the moment I guess I'm just concentrating on going from small to wider angles but somehow I think my circle jumps are really messing me up right from the start (even though I had tested some things out before and could get between 450-500u on my CJ jumps)

I just find it unbelievable how just a simple thing like that is taking me So Much time to get decent at
    Thanks for the comments

Senior Member SmuvMoney is on a distinguished road
    No lie - doing a decent CSJ is tough to learn. Once you can get to 480-490 reliably, then I would start worry about acceleration on subsequent strafe jumps. The highest theoretical max CSJ is 540~ ups, but I believe it requires an automated script to do - anything in the 520~ range is exceptional. Don't feel bad about struggling with CSJ - even with all this knowledge and youtube videos and other information, I think I can only complete do lanes 0 and 1 on razer's maps. I fizzle out on later lanes for the reasons limbless_pony describes above (lack of acceleration on later CJs).

You may want to try to attempt the campgrounds/dm6 B2R jump to put some of your practice work on a real map. Learning that helped me get better at CSJ as well as razer's map. ***

*** Speaking of which, razer, when will your training map get out of beta?!

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    No sooner than when having premium will be necessary to play it.

haha I'm not alone,
    kk Thanks Smuv, just wish I had gotten into Quake earlier and would be passed the newb stage (even though with those strafe pads, I think the newb stage is gonna be for a long time)

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmuvMoney View Post
    I think I can only complete do lanes 0 and 1 on razer's maps. I fizzle out on later lanes for the reasons limbless_pony describes above (lack of acceleration on later CJs).
    I'm glad to hear you say that smuv ! Thought it was only me. I can occasionally do 2 and the frustrating thing is that I often fail on lanes 0 and 1 by overjumping the pads, especially if I get a good CJ at the start.

The new maps give much more space for long strafe runs, so I think it's time to go back to strafe school.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member Wanderer is on a distinguished road
    I had a similar experience lane 0 and 1 you'll learn pretty quick, lane 2 a bit tougher and lane 3 I was/am stuck for a long time. Made it a few times. Also keep in mind last jump of most lanes is harder, not sure it that was intended by mapmaker.

*Icey_Pain
    From what I can see, you need to reach a minimum speed to get to the end, first lane is around 900 I think, lane 2 950, lane 3 1000 etc etc.

What I noticed in the video is that you don't always time your jumps well, if you go faster, pressing the spacebar will require different timing too.

+ Reply to Thread