A portal, which can be thought of as a programmable one-way teleporter, is an unsupported item in QL. Yet it can prove useful to ease the practice of tricks, as demonstrated in this demo.
The desired map needs to have cheats enabled, so it should be loaded with the devmap command. Then:
Once the portal is acquired, the +button2 command, bound to the middle mouse button by default and better known as "Use Item", has to be used twice:Code:dmflags 28 bind p "give portal"
- first, to position the Arrival point of the portal
- then, to position the Departure point of the portal
As soon as the second point has been set, the portal can be used. Each point has a 2 minutes lifetime. When the two points have vanished, the portal can't be used anymore and needs to be acquired again.
- The points both look like a colored 3-axis corner: screenshot1 and screenshot2
This aspect is only a consequence of the item being unsupported: no graphics are available to display these two points as "doors".
- This 3-axis thing tends to flicker or even to disappear, so the Departure point should be set near something as a reminder, e.g. under the lamp, in the demo.
- As with any teleporter, there is an inherent forward movement when going out of the Arrival point. This is why this point should not be set too close to an edge.
- By causality, the Arrival point vanishes before the Departure point, so there is a period near the end of the portal's lifetime when traversing the Departure point leads to "nowhere", and this would show as a telefrag if dmflags 28 was not used. The god command can't be used as a substitute to dmflags 28 to fix this peculiarity.
- The dmflags 28 fix has an annoying side effect, though. Traversing the Departure point when the Arrival point has vanished causes weapons to lose their knockback. This knockback quirk has no consequence if the trick to be practiced is based on strafing and circle jumps. But if the trick involves rocket jumps, grenade jumps or plasma climbing, then it gets impossible to perform afterwards, unless the map is reloaded with devmap.
- This zip file contains 3 extra demos:
ztn -> plasma climbing to RA
dm17 -> from SG platform, rocket jumps to RA and to mega
dm17 -> from SG platform, jump to MG ammo
The second one shows the effects of the knockback quirk at the end, and the third one shows that the portal remains effective when the player gets killed.