Grey/Black Screen as game tries to start
If you are suffering a grey screen as the game client tries to load, or the message - GLW_CreateWindow:could not register window class:
This is commonly caused by one or more of the following:
- Incompatible video card
- OpenGL ICD crash
- Please try rebooting your system
- No OpenGL system installed, or corrupted
- please (re) install graphics drivers from your card manufacturer (eg ATI/Nvidia/Intel) and not from Windows Update as they do not contain the OpenGL ICD.
- Incompatible resolution for current display monitor
- If that fails please locate your config files, If you have manually created .cfg files or used /writeconfig autoexec you will have to go through them and find and remove r_mode and r_displayrefresh settings (or set r_displayrefresh to 0)
then in either autoexec.cfg or qzconfig.cfg set desktop resolution via seta r_mode -2 or the 1024x768 setting seta r_mode 12
- If that fails please read the very bottom of the first post on the support sticky to reset your config to default properly.
- do you use an intel x3100 card?
If so it happens when aero dies, I don't know of any way to solve it, other than try older drivers, or vista drivers. (I have an x3100 laptop with this problem)
This can be proven by going into windowed mode, and running the win7 troubleshooter (type in troubleshoot in the start menu) and choosing 'display aero desktop effects' when run it will force aero to restart and you will be able to see the game until it drops out again.
Or in an admin level command prompt:
Or If you want to try intel vista drivers I would go back to win7 ones whenever they release a new version (it's been nearly a year, I'm sure they will at some point)
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms
Edit: With the new client it's a bit different as the game options aren't accessible in the same way -
Originally Posted by SyncError